- About 1 billion Valentine's Day cards are exchanged in US each year. That's the largest seasonal card-sending occasion of the year, next to Christmas.
- Women purchase 85% of all Valentines.
- In order of popularity, Valentine's Day cards are given to teachers, children, mothers, wives, sweethearts and pets.
- Parents receive 1 out of every 5 valentines.
- About 3% of pet owners will give Valentine's Day gifts to their pets.
- Valentine's Day and Mother's Day are the biggest holidays for giving flowers.
- Worldwide, over 50 million roses are given for Valentine's Day each year.
- California produces 60 percent of American roses, but the vast number sold on Valentine's Day in the United States are imported, mostly from South America. Approximately 110 million roses, the majority red, will be sold and delivered within a three-day time period.
- 73% of people who buy flowers for Valentine's Day are men, while only 27 percent are women.
- Men buy most of the millions of boxes of candy and bouquets of flowers given on Valentine's Day.
- In the Middle Ages, young men and women drew names from a bowl to see who their valentines would be. They would wear these names on their sleeves for one week. To wear your heart on your sleeve now means that it is easy for other people to know how you are feeling.
- The Italian city of Verona, where Shakespeare's lovers Romeo and Juliet lived, receives about 1,000 letters addressed to Juliet every Valentine's Day.
- Richard Cadbury invented the first Valentine's Day candy box in the late 1800s.
- Alexander Graham Bell applied for his patent on the telephone, an "Improvement in Telegraphy", on Valentine's Day, 1876.
- The oldest surviving love poem till date is written in a clay tablet from the times of the Sumerians, inventors of writing, around 3500 B.C
- Amongst the earliest Valentine's Day gifts were candies. The most common were chocolates in heart shaped boxes.
- In some countries, a young woman may receive a gift of clothing from a prospective suitor. If the gift is kept, then it means she has accepted his proposal of marriage
- If an individual thinks of five or six names considered to be suitable marriage partners and twists the stem of an apple while the names are being recited, then it is believed the eventual spouse will be the one whose name was recited at the moment the stem broke.
- In Medieval times, girls ate unusual foods on St Valentine's Day to make them dream of their future husband.
Tuesday, February 14, 2017
VALENTINE'S DAY FUN FACTS
Here is the most enjoyable and unbelievable collection of Valentine's Day Fun Facts. Share these fun facts with your friends to amaze them this Valentine Day.
It’s a Blitz of the Hits Everyday on Desert Radio AZ - The 50s thru 2016 - Pop, Rock, Country, R&B, Blues, Hip Hop, & more We pl...
Quantico's Jake McLaughlin Welcomes Baby No. 4. And baby makes six! Quantico star Jake McLaughlin and wife Stephanie McLaughlin have wel...