- On this date in 1822, New York's Charles Graham was granted a patent for artificial teeth.
- He also invented the synthetic cavity.
- If you're excited about that, get a Poly-grip.
- This paved the way for synthetic cavities.
- To give you an idea of how long ago that was, in those days, a set of "falsies" referred to teeth.
In 1862, during the Civil War, the ironclads Monitor and Virginia (formerly the Merrimac) clashed for five hours to a draw. This was back in the days before sudden death overtime.
- It was on this date in 1961 that the Soviet ship Sputnik 9 carried Chernushka, a dog, into orbit.
- His name was Chernushka, which in Russian, means "the slow one that was caught."
- Of course, the dog had to circle the earth four times before lying down.
- What some people won't do to get out of walking their dog.
- It orbited the earth three times before it sat down.
In 1975, work began on the Alaska pipeline. They allowed workers to eat any vegetables they wanted, except leeks.
On this date in 1979, a volcano was discovered on the planet Jupiter. Good thing we knew that so we wouldn't plan a vacation there.
In 1981, Dan Rather took over as the main anchor of the CBS Evening news. Kenneth watched with much frequency.