Nine secrets of a long life:
- More than 80 percent communicate with a friend or family member daily.
- 75 percent eat nutritionally balanced meals every day.
- 75 percent get eight hours or more of sleep each night.
- 72 percent laugh or giggle every day.
- 62 percent pray, meditate or engage in a spiritual activity daily.
- 49 percent stay active by walking or hiking at least once a week, while 31 percent stay active by gardening.
- 32 percent eat organic foods regularly.
- 17 percent are currently doing some type of volunteer work.
- An increasing number of centenarians are also staying sharp by using new technologies: 12 percent have listened to music on a music player or similar device, 11 percent have watched a video on YouTube and 8 percent have sent a text message or instant message.