- Critics complained that it really didn't go anywhere.
- So the next time you go to a fair and the merry-go-round looks like it's almost 400 years old -- that could be it!
- As fast as it was originally going, they were going to call it the scary-go-round, but they finally got the guy to slow it down.
- Back then, it was still in the early drafting stages. For example, instead of wooden animals to sit on, they were real!
- Who knew elephants got so much motion-sickness?
- Tickets were sold for both one way and round trip until they realized they were the same thing.
In 1784, George Washington bought an ice-cream maker. So it says in his diary. Hey, if you're going to keep a diary, you're going to buy ice-cream makers.
On this date in 1845, the rubber band was invented. Finally, people with rubber band guns had something to shoot. I remember as a kid having a rubber band gun... and a sticker on my scooter that said, "When rubberband guns are outlawed, only bullies will have rubberband guns!"
In 1875, the first Kentucky Derby was run at Churchill Downs in Louisville. The winner was Aristides.
The horse my great-great-grandfather bet on has almost reached the finish line.
You know, back then, horse-racing was a lot tougher. Especially when they were oil-painting finishes.
On this date in 1885, the first large pieces of the Statue of Liberty arrived in New York Harbor... along with a large note written in French that said, "Some assembly required."
In 1948, the Soviet Union recognized Israel. It took a while, as it had just shaved its beard.
Nikki Reed from "Twilight" turns 29 today. Almost time for a "Twilight" reunion, don't you think?
Dancing with the Stars' Derek Hough turns 32 today... 2, 3, 4...
Jordan Knight of New Kids on the Block turns 47 today. Should they at least be New Dudes by now?
Scottish-American TV host, comedian, and actor Craig Ferguson turns 55 today. The perfect host for those who prefer a little Scotch before bed.
Singer Enya turns 56 today. Sail Away, Sail Away, Sail Away... Her voice has the distinction of having been in more spas and massage parlors than Charlie Sheen.
Bob Saget of "Full House" and "Fuller House" fame turns 61 today. There are really two Bob's -- the Danny Tanner version and the Danny F-in' Tanner version.