In 1775, the first Continental currency was authorized. There were no volunteers to appear on the $3 bill. Finally, people had something to use to pay for their Continental breakfast.
On this date in 1847, the donut was invented.
- How it's not a holiday is beyond me.
- I'm pretty sure elastic waist pants weren't far behind.
- How did we survive all those years before it arrived?
- An invention that remains near and dear and clogging to my heart.
- The first customer said, "Hey, wait a minute -- this has a hole in it!"
In 1868, Arkansas became a state for the second time. So far, the second marriage appears to be working.
Gangster John Dillinger was born back in 1903. He would have been 104 if he hadn't died from lead poisoning.
On this date in 1970, President Richard Nixon signed a bill that lowered the voting age to 18 so that millions of Americans could start not voting even earlier.
Carson Daly turns 44 today. Talk about your eternal teenager.
Amy Brenneman turns 53 today... not that I'm judging Amy.
Tracy Pollan celebrates her 57th birthday today. She's been married to Michael J. Fox for 29 years. They have four kids together.
Cindi Lauper is 64 and just wants to have fun.
Meryl Streep is 68 today, but can pretty much act any age.
Todd Rundgren celebrates his 69th birthday today. His big hit was "Hello it's Me," which is the same thing Arnold Schwarzenegger's son says every time he calls.