- I believe it was the store owned by those two New England guys, Jebidiah and Jerry.
- The name of the store was Baskin and Robbins' One flavor.
- It was made by Ben Franklin and George Washington's brother, Jerry.
- It was called Jerry & Ben's. So close to a great idea.
In 1869, Chicago inventor Ives McGaffey patented the vacuum cleaner.
- Most of the critics agreed -- it sucked.
- In case my first wife is listening, that's a home-cleaning device.
- Until that time, door-to-door vacuum salesmen would just ring the doorbell and run.
- Until then, vacuums were pretty dirty.
On this date in 1917, Walt Disney graduated from high school. His exact words were, "I can't wait to get out of this Mickey Mouse place and... hey... "
In 1942 Bing Crosby recorded "Adeste Fideles" and "Silent Night" in Los Angeles. He waited for two weeks to put up the Christmas lights.
On this date in 1966, the American Football League and the National Football League agreed to merge in 1970. I remember thinking, "Oh, this will never work." This is why I don't give advice on stocks. Later, someone thought they should have a bowl game, that was called a super idea and, well, the rest is $2 million a minute.
In 1978, a jury in Clark County, Nevada, ruled that a so-called "Morman will," purportedly written by the late billionaire Howard Hughes, was a forgery. I'll never forgive uncle Howard for that cruel hoax.
Kanye West turns the big 4-0. Of course, he'll be hangin' with Kim, his little gold digger. Hey, she ain't hangin with no... Caitlyn Jenners! (The perfect gift for Kanye? An ego-girdle. He plans a special day entirely dedicated to spending a lot of time with the one he loves the most -- himself)
Julianna Margulies turns 51 today. Back in her "E.R." days, she and George Clooney were THE couple on the show. I read somewhere that she was no longer a good wife.
Boz Scaggs (which sounds like a summer skin disease) turns 73 today.
Mike "Red" Hucknall turns 57. He used to be the lead singer for 80's group, Simply Red." Now he's simply out of work.
Alex Van Halen turns 64 today. He's of course with the group that bears his name: Alex.
Nancy Sinatra is 77 today in her orthopedic boots.
Jerry Stiller -- Ben Stiller's real-life dad and George Castanza's TV dad -- turns 90 today. You got a problem with that?
Former First Lady Barbara Bush turns 92 today! She was both a wife and a mother, by George.
Best Friends Day -- a day to honor that one special person you call your "best friend." What lies do we tell our best friends?
- Sexual experience: 12 percent
- Income/salary: 8 percent
- Political opinions: 8 percent
- Religious beliefs: 7 percent