The top 5 places where phone theft is most likely to happen:
- In a restaurant
- In a bar or club
- At work
- On public transportation
- On the street
How can you prevent phone theft and keep your personal data safe? Lookout and IDG Research offer these tips:
- Do place a passcode or PIN on your phone.
- Install a mobile security app on your phone that will allow you to remotely wipe out the data if it is stolen.
- Be alert! When you are out, safeguard your phone. Fully 44 percent of phones that were stolen were taken after owners left them in a public place. Another 11 percent were pickpocketed. Note that phones are most likely to be stolen between noon and 5pm.
- The sooner you notice your phone has been stolen, the higher the chance you'll get it back. While 90 percent did whatever they could to get their phone back, only 32 percent succeeded. Immediately report the theft to police.
- If your phone is stolen, contact your mobile carrier to file a report or insurance claim.