Monday, July 24, 2017

WEIRD NEWS

Utterly Inhumane and Cruel

Cocoa, Florida Police Chief Mike Cataloupe called it "utterly inhumane and cruel." He's referring to the group of teenagers who watched and laughed as a man drowned in a retention pond earlier this month. Jamel Dunn drowned in the city of Cocoa on July 12, and police later discovered that the teens recorded the 31-year-old's death on video. The very disturbing audio is actually available online. The sick teens can be heard laughing at Dunn, telling him that he's going die and that they weren't going to help him. Police interviewed the five teens, ages 14 to 16 but said no criminal charges can be filed because state law doesn't require that people give or call for help when someone's in distress. Dunn's sister has created a GoFundMe campaign on behalf of her brother, who she said had a disability and required a cane for walking. (Florida Today)

Then NASA Said Oops!

A small inventory error has led to a giant payday for Nancy Lee Carlson of Illinois. A moon dust collection bag that Carlson bought for just $995 in an online government auction in 2015 just sold for $1.8 million at a Sotheby's auction in New York. The bag, marked "Lunar Sample Bag," was used by Neil Armstrong to collect moon dust during the Apollo 11 mission in 1969 and still contains small rocks and traces of lunar dust. The buyer declined to be identified but the bag is believed to be the only artifact from the Apollo 11 mission in private hands. It was among items that the FBI seized from the home of Max Ary, the former director of a Kansas space museum, in 2003. NASA tried to get the bag back when it realized it had been misidentified and sold, but a federal judge ruled in Carlson's favor. She plans to use some of the proceeds to set up a scholarship at Northern Michigan University. The bag was sold among 180 lots Sotheby's auctioned off to mark the 48th anniversary of the first moon landing. Other items included the Apollo 13 flight plan, which sold for $275,000. (BBC)

When Ex-Firefighters Go Nuts

In Hialeah, Florida, retired firefighter Jorge Jove apparently "went bananas" according to police, after he found two AT&T trucks parked in front of his house. The trucks had been parked by workers who were hanging lines on nearby utility poles. Even though both trucks were parked in the street, Jove was reportedly worried about them damaging his driveway so decided it would be prudent to go out and shoot out the tires with his Ruger .357 revolver. Prior to the shooting, Jove confronted the workers who told him they would move as soon as they were finished. Jove went back into his house, but police say he returned about an hour later with the gun. Cellphone video from the scene shows a man firing multiple shots at the trucks. Police say Jove shot out their tires and fired multiple shots into the bodies of the trucks. One of the workers was up in the bucket truck when Jove allegedly opened fire and couldn't come down. A responding police sergeant says Jove took a shot at the worker in the bucket, but Jove reportedly denies it. Police say Jove fired at least 18 shots in all, stopping to reload multiple times. Sgt. Carl Zogby said, "He seemed to be a quiet man, and something made him snap today." Jove was arrested and charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. (WSVN)

Surprise!

In Wu'un City, China, a would-be car thief got quite a surprise when he opened the door of the vehicle he intended to steal. Not only was the owner inside - he was having sex with his girlfriend! The shocked owner jumped out with his pants still down around his ankles then chased after the robber. He was unable to catch the man so asked for the CCTV footage so that he could give it to local police saying the thief "only took three seconds to force open the door." He added: "Had I not been there, my car would definitely have been stolen." He declined to answer what he was doing inside the car when he was caught or explain why the car was rocking before the thief opened the door. (Metro)

China Bans The Bieb

It seems China wants to keep its arts culture pure and its crowds demure, which is why the country has now banned the naughty influences of one Mr. Justin Bieber. Yep - the Bieb is not permitted to perform in China during his Purpose World Tour stopover in Asia later in the year because of his "bad behavior." A statement from the country's Culture Bureaus said Bieber "is a gifted singer, but both in his social life and during a previous performance in China he has caused discontent among the public." It's not clear which behavioral issues the bureau is referring to, but Bieber has been arrested in the US on DUI charges, in trouble with the law in Canada for reckless driving, and reprimanded for kicking a soccer ball around the Vatican's hallowed halls, among other infractions. During his last tour visit to China in 2013, he caused a commotion by being carried up the Great Wall by his bodyguards, as well as riding his skateboard through Beijing. But hey, he's in good company. Lady Gaga and Oasis have also been turned away from China for being "unsuitable" for the masses. (Guardian)

Wanna Guess Where Most of the Guns on the Dark Web Come From?

A new report says roughly three-fifths of the weapons sold on marketplaces on the dark web come from the United States. The first of its kind, a report from RAND Corporation details the ever-expanding role of the dark web in facilitating the sale of firearms, ammunition, and explosives. In addition to RAND, the report was compiled with the help of Judith Aldridge, a professor of criminology at the University of Manchester. Two major dark web markets, AlphaBay and Hansa, have been recently shut down. The study, conducted over a six-day period in September 2016, draws from data collected from 811 listings on 12 cryptomarkets. The findings suggest that the dark web is increasingly a source of "better performing, more recent firearms for the same, or lower, price, than would be available on the street or the black market." (Gizmodo)

What the What?

In Columbia, South Carolina, 64-year-old James Kester has been arrested and charged with the attempted murder of 12 people at a local cemetery after police say he deliberately struck a funeral crowd. He is accused of intentionally driving his car into the 12 victims at a grave site at Greenlawn Memorial Park although the motive is not clear. The victims, whose ages range from 11 to 78, were treated at local hospitals for non-life threatening injuries. Greenlawn Memorial Park General Manager Suzanne Elkins said, "They were already having a horrible day, and this just made it more tragic." (NBC)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Click On Picture To Order

Click On Picture To Order
Support Desert Radio AZ

Coming Soon To Bisbee Arizona

In December we will be opening the Desert Radio AZ “Video & Audio Podcasting Studio,” in Bisbee, Arizona. This facility will offer the p...