In 1841, John Hampson patented the venetian blind.
- It was a special window covering that, when you turned a handle, blocked out the view of his neighbors, the Venetians.
- It was tough enough inventing a venetian... but blind? Wow.
- Ever since, it's been the blind leading the blinds.
- You're pullin' my cord! Nope, true!
On this date in 1878, a group of lawyers, judges and law professors established the American Bar Association. They were about to celebrate when an ambulance drove by and half the crowd ran after it.
In 1911, the Leonardo da Vinci painting "Mona Lisa" was stolen from Louvre Museum in Paris, France. At first, people thought she might be involved because of that smirk on her face. Or, at that point, no one was smiling.
On this date in 1959, Hawaii became our 50th state. At last, all that pineapple was ours! Moohaahaahaa.
August 21st -- just 10 days remaining in the month!
Hayden Panettiere turns 28 today. One of the few Hollywood starlets today who's name could be used in a spelling bee. I've always felt she had a name that sounded more like a quarterback.
Carrie-Anne Moss turns the big 5-0 today.
- She was the female lead in the Matrix movies and, of course, went on to becoming known as the woman in the Matrix movies.
- She's going to blow out her candles, but in slow motion.
- The only Neo she sees these days has a last name of Sporin.
The former quarterback of the Super Bowl Champion Chicago Bears, Jim McMahon, turns 58 today. Shouldn't that be 42? I mean, in football, once you cross the 50 the numbers start going down again.
Kim Cattrall from "Sex and the City" turns 61 today. She's getting close to the age where she could become a Grand Cougar.
Jackie DeShannon turns 73 today. I still don't know what the "D" stands for.
Clarence Williams III, who played Link on the original "Mod Squad" TV series, turns 78 today. Back in his day, he was the replacement for hip... today, he's heading towards hip replacement.
Kenny Rogers turns 79 today. He's had so many facelifts that when his chin itches, he scratches his back.