On this date in 1718, hundreds of French colonists began to settle in the New Orleans area.
They said they'd like to settle there, if it was OK bayou.
The men were thrilled to see what the local natives would do for a string of beads, and the tradition continues.
In 1822, William Herschel died. It was a long life. Herschel was the one who discovered Uranus and don't think he wasn't kidded about that.
On this date in 1830, Belgium began to revolt against the Netherlands.
They wanted their independence, but as far as the cost went, they still wanted to go Dutch.
It was tricky negotiating. Belgium wanted separate checks, while the Netherlands wanted them to go Dutch.
In 1875, Captain Matthew Webb became the first person ever to swim across the English Channel. Saved almost 30 cents in ferry fare. It wasn't until years later than someone channel surfed.
On this date in 1916, the National Park Service was formed. Until then, people had to park their cars on their own. On the same day, Yogi Bear and Boo Boo unionized.
The very first passenger plane service between London and Paris began on this date in 1919. The airline's motto: "We love to fly, it's the landing that scares us."
In 1981, Voyager II approached Saturn and showed that it actually had thousands of rings, shattering the record held by Liz Taylor.
On this date in 1987, the Dow Jones average of industrial stocks reached a record 2722.42. Who knows, we could do that again in the near future?
In 1997, the tobacco industry agreed to an $11.3 billion settlement with the state of Florida. The state celebrated by having a cigar.
Blake Lively is the big 3-0 today. Happy birthday, Mrs. Ryan Reynolds.
Country singer Jo Dee Messina turns 47 today. Never did find out what the Dee stands for.
Model Claudia Schiffer turns 47 today, which is 156 in model years.
TV host Rachel Ray turns 49 today. Today's 30-minute meal: eating an entire birthday cake very slowly. Of course, I'm famous for that over at the all-you-can-eat pizza buffet.
DJ Terminator X turns 50 today. When he was born, Mr. and Mrs. X were torn between DJ Terminator and Cameron. And, well, you know.
Miley's dad, Billy Ray Cyrus, turns 56 today. Him and his achy, breaky heart. Yep, she's all his fault, or at least half the blame.
Tim Burton turns 59 today. He's brought some of the weirder things to our movie screens. One word: Beetlejuice! I don't mean to say his mind is a bit twisted, but his psychiatrist's nickname for him is "Pretzel."
Actor Tom Skerrit ("Alien," "Top Gun") turns 84 today, living quietly up in Seattle these days.
Regis Philbin is 86 and planning to throw a surprise party for himself. He plans a not-so-quiet evening at home, yelling his candles out.
Sean Connery turns 87 today. Yep, he's really old. In fact, he's so old, he now prefers being stirred, not shaken.
The former host of "Let's Make a Deal", Monty Hall, turns 96. Obviously, he's made some pretty good deals so far if he's reached 96.
Kiss-And-Make-Up Day -- Had a fight with a friend, a tiff with your spouse, or a disagreement with your family? Particularly if it is over something fairly petty, don't let it cloud your mind. This is the day to approach whoever the other party is and work it out!
National Banana Split Day -- In the summer of 1904, optometrist David Sticker took a banana, split it down the middle and topped it with three scoops of different flavors of ice cream. A study from the Smell & Taste Treatment and Research Foundation in Chicago, revealed that distinct personalities correspond with ice cream flavors.
- If you like banana, you are easy going, well adjusted, generous, honest, and empathetic.
- If you like vanilla, you are colorful, impulsive, a risk taker who sets high goals and has high expectations of yourself. You also enjoy close family relationships.
- If you like chocolate, you are lively, creative, dramatic, charming, enthusiastic, and the life of the party. Chocolate fans enjoy being at the center of attention and can become bored with the usual routine.
- If you like butter pecan, you are orderly, a perfectionist, careful, detail-oriented, conscientious, ethical, and fiscally conservative. You are also competitive, aggressive in sports, and the take-charge type of personality.
- If you like strawberry, you are shy, yet emotionally robust, skeptical, detail oriented, opinionated, introverted, and self-critical.
- If you like chocolate chip, you are generous, competitive, and accomplished. You are charming in social situations, ambitious, and competent.
Given that information we have put together the "Ice Cream Compatibility Test" for ice cream lovers. If you are looking for the perfect man just asking one simple question can find if he is a perfect match for you. The question? "What is your favorite ice cream flavor?" If your favorite flavor is:
- Banana -- compatible with all flavors.
- Vanilla -- you are most likely to be compatible with someone whose favorite flavor is vanilla.
- Chocolate -- compatible with butter pecan or chocolate chip.
- Butter Pecan -- compatible with butter pecan, chocolate and chocolate chip.
- Strawberry -- compatible with chocolate chip.
- Chocolate Chip -- compatible with butter pecan, strawberry or chocolate.