On this date in 1862, the first direct telegraphic link between New York and San Francisco was established. The first message from San Francisco: "We've got gold and Yankees suck!"
In 1869 in New Brunswick, New Jersey, as Rutgers defeats Princeton six goals to four.
- Rutgers won, 6 goals to 4. That was in the day before the extra point... and before cheerleaders. All they had were "Motivation Counselors."
- College football was much different back then, especially before the game, as tailgates had not been invented yet!
- I'm sure my great-great grandfather maintained the family tradition and missed that pick, too.
- Up until that time, guys got things done on Saturday afternoons in the fall.
On this date in 1984, the New Orleans' World's Fair filed for bankruptcy. The theme of that year's fair was, "Wow, where'd all the money go?"
Rebecca Romjin turns 45 today. In the X-Men movies, she warmed up the Mystique outfit until Jennifer Lawrence took over.
- In the X-Men movies, she could take any shape she wanted. The original starting point worked for me.
- Which is ironic, because we were just thinking of her in her birthday suit.
- Fortunately, with her former X-men skills, for all of her auditions, she morphs into a 34-year-old.
Ethan Hawke is 47 and now living "Reality Bites." He's the first cousin twice removed of Tennessee Williams. Hawke's great grandfather and Williams' father were brothers.
Arnold's ex and member of the Kennedy clan, Maria Shriver turns 62 today.
Sally Field turns 71 today. You saw her as Mary Lincoln in the movie "Lincoln." Her career has ranged from "The Flying Nun" to "Spider-Man"'s mom, with Oscar-winning roles in-between.
Basketball Day -- The inventor of basketball, James Naismith, was born on this day in 1861.