- I'm not a history expert, but I'm pretty sure Poor Richard grew up to be Little Richard.
- It far outsold all the other publications of the time because there weren't any.
- Everyone enjoyed it, except of course, for Poor Richard, who couldn't afford a copy.
- He offered a version for Kindle Fire, but he was just too far ahead of his time.
On this date in 1776, Thomas Paine published his first "American Crisis" essay, in which he wrote those famous words, "These are the times that try men's souls." It was during the very, very first Republican Presidential Candidate debate.
In 1777, George Washington and his 11,000 man Continental Army begin their grim winter encampment at Valley Forge, PA.
- They gave the accommodations one star and a lot of bad reviews on Trip advisor.
- It was officially crossed out as a future vacation spot after that winter.
- It was a camp for underprivileged patriots.
- The next year, they all voted to go to Florida.
- It was like a reality TV show game, without the cameras and freedom was the top prize.
Sir William Parry was born on this date, in 1790. Parry spent 7 years of his life looking for the Northwest Passage. Just like a man, he refused to pull over and ask for directions.
On this date in 1843, "A Christmas Carol" was published for the very first time. The author had a Dickens of a time getting the book published and didn't even realize it at the time. Some say it didn't have a ghost of a chance.
In 1843, Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" was first published in England. Of course, those who chose to wait for the movie to come out didn't make it.
On this date in 1996 The television industry unveils a plan to rate programs using "TV-G," "TV-Y" and "TV-M." As you know, the whole idea went "TV-nowhere."
The After-Christmas Sales are a week from today. Less than a week to go before Christmas. Do you know where your panic button is?
Jake Gyllenhaal turns 37 today. His big movie coming up is titled, "The Sister's Brother"... which, just means, himself... right? He says he's not a card-carrying Buddhist but he does try to meditate at least once a day. Maybe if he keeps that up, they'll finally give him a card.
It's a good Jake Day. Former Cardinals' quarterback Jake Plummer turns 43.
Alyssa Milano turns 45 today. If you don't know what she looks like, you've never been on the Internet.
- Did you know that her body type and personality were used as a model for Ariel in Disney's "The Little Mermaid?"
- For a while there, she was the most-downloaded woman on the Internet. Of course, now, thanks to the Yahoo, we all are.
- For a while, it was amazing to watch her grow up, from "Who's the Boss?" to "Who's That You're Downloading?"
Tim Reid -- Venus Flytrap from WKRP -- turns 51 today.
Jennifer Beals from "Flashdance" turns 54. She now wears control top leggings. Wait. Was it "Flashdance" fame or did she do the Flash Dance in "Fame." I can't remember.