- He sold it to them as a "weekend retreat."
- They would have done it a lot faster, but they had to stop and pose for the oil painting.
On this date in 1931, coaxial cable was patented. Actually two different people showed up to patent axial cable and they agreed to share in the invention... so, they made it co-axial. We're going to honor this special occasion today, sometime between 9 and 5.
In 1940, the very first NFL championship was broadcast on radio as the Chicago Bears beat the Washington Redskins, 73-0.
- The game was so one-sided, the Redskins cheerleaders filed for unemployment at halftime.
- Can you believe that? The Bears actually won a game?
- The game was so one-sided, whenever the Redskins got the ball, the announcers would use that time as a restroom break.
On this date in 1969, Jimi Hendrix was found not guilty of heroin possession in Toronto. Me thinks the jury goofed.
Nicki Minaj turns 35 today. Real name: Onika Tanya Maraj.
Sinead O'Connor turns 51 today. In case you've never heard of her, she's a formally relevant singer with one hit song.
- Think of her as a polar opposite of Rapunzel.
- She was a short-haired rebel in her time.
- Among her claims to fame: singing on "Saturday Night Live" and then tearing up a picture of the pope. I'm assuming it was some kind of therapy thing.
Terri Hatcher turns 53 today. She went from "Superman" to James Bond to "Desperate Housewives" to "The Odd Couple" to "Supergirl." Yep, she can't hold a job.
Kim Basinger is 64. She's been around all this time and we still don't know if it's BAY-singer or BASS-singer.
Sportscaster Roy Firestone turns 64 today. He's a great impressionist, but makes a lousy tire.
National Chocolate Brownie Day -- Brownies were created in the United States at the end of the 19th century. A cross between a cookie and cake, they soon became very popular across the country.