RULES FOR A GREAT MARRIAGE
- Stay Calm -- Keep talks constructive, not destructive and accusatory.
- Take A Time-Out -- Fights are easy to start and hard to stop. Yell "peanut butter" or "macaroni" if things get out of hand. That means everyone stops, takes a deep breath and has a good laugh.
- Speak Clearly -- Make statements that reflect your feelings; "I feel hurt. I feel sad." rather than assuming what your partner thinks "You don't care. You are selfish."
- Listen -- State your gripe, then wait for a reply. Repeat the answer to stay on the right track without misinterpretation.
- Deal With It -- Don't wait for a problem to escalate. Talk about issues when they arise.
- Have Fun -- Sharing leisure time and doing things you both enjoy is important for staying together and being happy.
- Keep Love Alive -- Even if the initial rush of romance has passed, stay connected physically by touching and kissing. If you've grown apart, discuss what's gone wrong, then find a way to fix it.
- Forgive -- In any relationship, someone will be hurt. It's important to say: "I'm sorry" and mean it. Empty words are worthless.