- One ounce of gold can be stretched into a wire fifty miles long.
- Human fingernails contain gold. A woman's fingernails contain slightly more. Now you know.
- And 24-karat gold is not pure gold, it includes a small amount of copper.
- Naturally, when people first saw them, they would say, "Hi, heels." Eventually, the joke wore thin.
- It lifted up your feet and gave you extra support and was even more effective when placed on a shoe.
- As dog owners know, that was years before the rubber "sit" and rubber "roll over" was invented. It was a nice way to put a little bounce in your step.
In 1908, the very first Boy Scout troop was formed in England. This after a crowd of thousands of little old ladies formed, wanting to cross the street.
On this date in 1916, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that federal income tax is constitutional. So blame them!
In 1922 the "Eskimo Pie" was patented. Of course, the toughest part about making them is getting fresh Eskimo.
On this date in 1935, beer was first served in cans in Richmond, Virginia.
- Yeah, I don't know why it isn't a holiday, either.
- Back then, getting canned had an entirely different meaning.
- Why the guy selling beer wore cans, I'll never know.
- Yes, the number of injuries from guys crushing bottles on their foreheads plummeted.
On this date in 1945, the New York Yankees were sold for $3 million. Today, that wouldn't even cover the bat boy.
In 1984, Apple introduced their Macintosh personal computer. If I had bought their stock instead of one of those computers, I'd be rich.
Mischa Barton is 32 today and you're not.
Former Olympic Gymnast Mary Lou Retton is getting a 5-0 from the birthday judges today.
- Most likely, she'll spend her big day swinging around bars.
- She's almost got a year for every inch of height.
- In her younger days, she did quite well hanging around bars... parallel bars, but still bars.
- She is the living incarnation of "perky."
It's Matthew Wilder's birthday. Mr. "Break My Stride" turns 65. Starting to get into those years when you really don't want to be breaking things, including your stride.
Yakov Smirnoff turns 67 today. He's gotten to the stage where his name is funnier than he is. You'll mostly see him these days on the back of milk cartons.
Neil Diamond... bop, bop, baah... turns 77 today. (He feels so good, so good, so good, so good!) Everybody sing: "Viagra on the rocks... ain't no surprise."
Ray Stevens is 79 today... and everything is beautiful (in it's own way). He's not streaking as much these days.