- I don't remember the inventor's name but his hands rang a bell.
- It was just too darn hard to feed the cat chimes.
- They led to the popularity of bells and soon the door honker was replaced with the door bell.
- A much nicer way of knowing someone was at the front door.
- We can't remember the inventor's name, but his invention rings a bell.
In 1649, England's King Charles I was beheaded by Parliament. That was back in the days when you said, "Heads are gonna roll"... and you weren't kidding!
On this date in 1847 the California town of Yerba Buena ws renamed San Francisco. Hard to imagine that Rice-o-Roni was almost the Yerba Buena Treat.
- Because "I left my heart in Yerba Buena" just didn't have the same ring to it.
- A week later, the Yerba Buena 49ers followed suit.
- Ironically, it was just the day after Tony Bennett had released his new song, "I left my heart in Yerba Buena."
In 1933, "The Lone Ranger" debuted on radio. Probably one of the most challenging premises ever -- a guy wearing a mask on the radio. That's like a radio magician.
On this date in 1958, the very first 2-way moving sidewalk debuted in Dallas.
- After several people flew off, they decided to take it off "run" mode and allow people to just "walk."
- Some guys wanted to hold out for the 3-way, but they were mostly ignored.
- A short time later, a nearby store had the world's first moving sidewalk sale!
- It wasn't an easy sell, running around, asking people if they'd be interested in a two-way.
Wilmer Valderrama, the world's oldest Fez, turns 38 today. He launched his career as Fez on "That 70s Show" and over is half-way to his 70s. Now he plays opposite of Gibbs on "NCIS."
Christian Bale turns 44 today, which is 4.4 in "Batman" movie years.
Singer Jody Watley turns 59 today. Her name is most often used with the word, 'remember.' As in, "Remember Jody Watley?"
Brett Butler ("Grace Under Fire") turns the big 6-0 today. Most recently, she played a bartender on Charlie Sheen's show "Anger Management." And, as you can imagine, bartending for Charlie Sheen is a fulltime gig.
Singer, drummer and one-time member of Genesis (the band, not the book in the Bible), Phil Collins is 67. He's known for "Two Hearts" and three marriages.
Former Vice President Dick Cheney turns 77 today. Who could have seen that coming?
Gene Hackman turns 88 today. (Trivia: He played Lex Luthor in three of the first four Superman movies with Christopher Reeve.)
National Insane Answering Machine Message Day