The classic composer Franz Schubert was born on this date, back in 1797. One of his most famous works was his last, "The Unfinished Symphony." We'll have that score for you as soon as it comes in.
On this date in, 1862 Telescope maker Alvin Clark discovered the dwarf companion of Sirius. It redefined what made a Sirius relationship. He wanted to name it 'Shirley" until the giant star spoke and said, "I am Sirius and stopping calling it Shirley."
It was on this date back in 1905 that a person drove a car over 100mph for the very first time. His first words: "I gotta get those brakes fixed!"
On this date in 1948, the magnetic tape wire recorder was invented. It would be great to have audio of that moment, but they forgot to record it.
In 1949 that the very first TV soap opera began on NBC, "These Are My Children."
- It was the story of a guy explaining all of his tax deductions to the IRS.
- I believe it followed an NBA team... I just don't remember which one.
- It was a smart thing to do. Instead of hiring a sitter, just put your kids on TV.
In 1955, RCA demonstrated the first music synthesizer. This paved the way for creating the first artificial song. Yep, artificial music... that's what we were missing!
On this date in 1958, James Van Allen discovered the radiation belt. Years later, he also found the matching shoes.
In 1961, Ham became the first primate in space (158 miles) aboard the space capsule, Mercury. He got his name because he was the first primate in space to take a selfie.
Justin Timberlake turns 37 today. Yeah, but he can still fit into his Mouseketeer ears.
- His music career is impressive, but remember, he's also survived being a Mouseketeer and dating Britney Spears.
- He was a one-time Mousekateer and a several time Britney Spears-er.
- He's working on musical involving an ogre, called "Shreksy-back."
Kerry Washington turns 41. One of the few mentions of the word 'Washington' this week that doesn't involve a protest.
Portia de Rossi is 45 today. Or, if you prefer, Mrs. Ellen Degeneres. Ellen's gotta be cooking up something special for that.
Minnie Driver has gone from actress to skin cream spokesperson to sitcom star ("Speechless"). Oh and she turns 48 today. No relation to Mini-Me.
Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands turns the big 8-0 today. Yes, she's a real Queen B.