- He announced to colonists that they could save 15% or more by switching to Geico.
- Back then, that's how they announced the next "in" spring fashions.
- That was the "eleven o'clock ride" Central.
- He let the colonists know he was having a sale on cookware.
- And he did it all with just one horsepower.
- What's not very well known: on the way back, he was yelling, "Name cookware after me! Name cookware after me!"
On this date in 1924, the very first crossword puzzle book was published by Simon and Schuster. Not surprising, people really enjoyed writing in their cross words.
- It took that long to round up enough cross word. They should have asked my Uncle Bob for help.
- Some say they made the puzzles too difficult, which resulted in a few cross words of their own.
- I guess it took that many years to come up with enough cross words to make a puzzle.
In 1934, the first-ever coin-operated Laundromat opened up in Fort Worth, TX. It was there the phrase was coined, "Who's got change for a dollar?"
Did you know that women do laundry every couple of days. A man will wear every article of clothing he owns, including his surgical pants that were hip about eight years ago, before he will do the laundry. When he is finally out of clothes, he will wear a dirty sweatshirt inside out, rent a U-Haul and take his mountain of clothes to the laundromat.
Kourtney Kardashian turns 29 today. She's trying to treat herself to an entire day without any drama.
Melissa Joan Hart hits birthday number 42 today. It's been a few years since she was Sabrina, the teenage witch. Doing the math, at least 13. Some day she'll tell her kids that when she was younger, she was a witch for a spell.
Eric McCormack from Will and Grace AND Conan O'Brien both turn 55 today. A day for funny people to be born.
Conan O'Brien turns 55 today. Today, for old times' sake, NBC is going to buy him something really nice for his birthday and give it to Jay Leno.
Jane Leeves, best known as Daphne on "Frasier," now playing some part on some cable comedy show, turns 57 today. They say she's got quite a temper. When Jane's upset, Jane Leeves.
Rick Moranis is sitting around and waiting for just one more "Honey, I shrunk" movie... oh, and he turns 65 today.
James Woods turns 71 today. He's got an interesting way of deciding who he's going to date. He takes his age and divides by three... and that tells him how old the girl should be.
Hayley Mills is 72 today. At one time when her name came up, I thought of "Pollyanna." Now I think of Poly-grip!
Pet Owners Independence Day -- we're going to celebrate by sleeping and eating all day long.