- Critics complained that it really didn't go anywhere.
- So the next time you go to a fair and the merry-go-round looks like it's almost 400 years old -- that could be it!
- Back when they first started, one of the easiest jobs you could get was as a Cruise Director for a merry-go-round.
- As fast as it was originally going, they were going to call it the scary-go-round, but they finally got the guy to slow it down.
- Back then, it was still in the early drafting stages. For example, instead of wooden animals to sit on, they were real!
- Who knew elephants got so much motion-sickness?
- Tickets were sold for both one way and round trip until they realized they were the same thing.
In 1784, George Washington bought an ice-cream maker. So it says in his diary. Hey, if you're going to keep a diary, you're going to buy ice-cream makers.
On this date in 1845, the rubber band was invented. Finally, people with rubber band guns had something to shoot. I remember as a kid having a rubber band gun... and a sticker on my scooter that said, "When rubber band guns are outlawed, only bullies will have rubber band guns!"
In 1875, the first Kentucky Derby was run at Churchill Downs in Louisville. The winner was Aristides.
- The horse my great-great-grandfather bet on has almost reached the finish line.
- You know, back then, horse-racing was a lot tougher. Especially when they were oil-painting finishes.
In 1948, the Soviet Union recognized Israel. It took a while, as it had just shaved its beard.
Nikki Reed from "Twilight" turns the big 3-0 today. Almost time for a "Twilight" reunion, don't you think?
Dancing with the Stars' Derek Hough turns 33 today... 4, 5, 6...
Jordan Knight of New Kids on the Block turns 48 today. Should they at least be New Dudes by now?
Scottish-American TV host, comedian, and actor Craig Ferguson turns 56 today. The perfect host for those who prefer a little Scotch before bed.
Singer Enya turns 57 today. Sail Away, Sail Away, Sail Away... Her voice has the distinction of having been in more spas and massage parlors than Charlie Sheen. She produces the kind of music you'd expect to hear coming from a seashell in the forest.
Bob Saget of "Full House" and "Fuller House" fame turns 62 today. There are really two Bob's -- the Danny Tanner version and the Danny F-in' Tanner version.