In 1790, Congress passed the very first copyright law. It actually wasn't their idea: they stole it from a book, word for word. On this date in 1868, the first recorded bicycle race took place in France.
- It was slower than you'd expect, as the bicycle had been invented... but not the pedal.
- This in spite of the No Peddlers signs.
- It was very exciting... mostly because bicycle brakes hadn't been invented yet.
- At first, everyone thought it was a joke since the only three contestants were a Frenchman, a German and a Brit.
- Needless to say, the guy with the training wheels came in second.
It was on this date in 1919 that the very first wedding in an airplane took place over Houston, Texas.
- If only the groom hadn't insisted on carrying her over the threshold of the plane.
- Sadly, when the bride threw the bouquet, it went out the door, along with two desperate bridesmaids.
- If that one bridesmaid that tried to catch the bouquet had just worn a parachute.
- Nothing like taking the big leap in a place where you could take another big leap.
- The bride said, "I do"... and... after a brief pause... the groom responded with... "Geronimo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!"
- Unfortunately, when the bride threw the bouquet out the window, one of the bridesmaids went after it.
On this date in 1956, Buddy Holly saw the John Wayne movie "The Searchers" and heard the line, "That'll be the day", which inspired him to write the song. Because of that success, he decided to try that approach every day... and, well, another song!
On this date in 1995, Senator Bob Dole accused Hollywood of promoting violence and casual sex in music and movies. The comments were made in what has become known as his "Duh!" speech.
Colin Farrell turns 42 today. Among the women he dated over the years: Demi Moore, Angelina Jolie and Britney Spears. His upcoming movie is "Dumbo." That's where to find him.
Johnny Diesel turns 52 and is still the most expensive grade of singer out there.
Brooke Shields is 53. Her Blue Lagoon now has a few grey streaks in it. There was a time that she was the girl with the big eyebrows that you wanted to get stranded on an island with... then those eyebrows spun a cocoon and flew away.
McDarryl McDaniels, the D of Run DMC, turns 54. That explains why the group is changing their name to Slow Jog MC.
Singer Corey Hart turns 56 today. He's dropped the sunglasses and now wears reading glasses at night.
Clint Eastwood turns 88 years old today. He's feeling lucky, but you've got to be asking yourself, how many years does he have left?
- I heard the chair is planning a surprise party for him.
- He's more of a "Dirty Harold" now.
- Sure, you could sneak up behind him and yell, "Happy birthday!" but you gotta be askin' yourself... "Do you feel lucky, punk? Well? Do ya?"
World No-Tobacco Day -- A day to celebrate life by throwing away those smokes away. Guys, here's the best reason to stop smoking: Lighting up restricts blood circulation, which may make it more difficult for your body to become aroused.