ON THIS DAY
In 1878, Paul Hines made the first unassisted triple play in baseball. Three outs on one play! The more embarrassing part came afterwards, when he was high-fiving himself. The phrase, "What the hell just happened?" was coined on this day.
On this date in 1886, Atlanta pharmacist John Styth Pemberton invented the syrup for a beverage that becomes known as "Coca Cola." In just one day, he had a coke and a smile.
In 1944, the first eye bank in the U.S. opened it's doors in New York.
- Needless to say, the drive through window was NOT for the faint of heart.
- Not surprising, people ran into the drive-through window 10 times that first day.
- It was backed by the F.D.I. See.
- Not surprising, most of the accidents at the drive-through window came after customers made a deposit.
- Unfortunately, customers kept crashing into the lobby, usually the ones coming in for a withdrawal.
On this date in 1958 Vice President Nixon is shoved, stoned, booed and spat upon by anti-American protesters in Lima, Peru. And that was just the welcoming committee.
In 1963, Sean Connery made his debut as 007 in "Dr. No" in North America. Critics were shaken, but not stirred. (The film opened in London in 1962).
It's Ocho de Mayo. Not a holiday, but just wanted to use all the Spanish words I knew.
Chipotle is offering all teachers buy-one-get-one-free burritos today as part of Teacher Appreciation Day.
Enrique Iglesias turns 43 today. He and his parental partner Anna Kournikova have produced two of the most beautiful children ever. Ever!
Melissa Gilbert from "Little House on the Prairie" turns 54 today.
- That was a TV show long ago about life in the early west. Today, it sounds like a show about the only thing I can afford to buy.
- It's a strange feeling to look back fondly on simpler times when we watched a show that looked back fondly on even simpler times.
- She was first known for being the star of "Little House on the Prarie," but in recent years has become famous for "Major Back Pain on the Dance Floor" on DWTS.
Philip Bailey of Earth, Wind and Fire turns 67 today. I believe he was the wind. That's good. That means I'm not as old as the wind.
Toni Tennille of the Captain and Tennille turns 78 today. There was a time where they were married and even had their own TV series. Now they're no longer married and he's been demoted to sergeant. Yep, one day, they had it all. Now, they each have 50%.
No Socks Day -- It's a chance to free your feet from socks and stockings and to give your toes a breath of fresh air. Plus, it reduces your laundry load, which is environmentally friendly.