On this date in 1754, King's College opened up in New York. No, it didn't become Trump University... 30 years later, it was renamed Columbia College. That was back when the Ivy League was just a transplant.
In 1846, the U.S. flag was raised in California. Back then, California was a different place, where most people spoke Spanish and... uh, never mind.
On this date in 1891, travelers checks were invented.
- Finally, we had something to leave home without.
- The person it was introduced to said, "Your face is familiar. Haven't I cashed you before?"
- They wanted to congratulate the inventor, but he was never home.
- BTW, do people still do travelers checks?
Construction of the Hoover Dam began in 1930. Frankly, I don't think it looks anything like him.
On this date in 1946, Mother Frances Xavier Cabrini became the first American Saint, if you don't include St. Louis.
In 1968, the original "Morris the Cat" died. But he made the most of his 9 lives.
On this date in 1987, the Kiwanis Club voted to admit women. Admit women what, I don't know. Admit they were right?
In 2003, NASA launched its second Mars Rover, with the words, "Blastoff! Now, go get 'em! That's right, boy! Go get 'em!"
Gold medal figure skater Michelle Kwan turns 37 today. She's not a big fan of birthday parties, so it'll be the short program.
Actress Jorja Fox turns 49 today. First, she was on "E.R.," then "C.S.I." She's never worked on a show with a full word in the title. She's doing fine but her career is reported as "missing."
Vonda Shepherd is searching her soul tonight and celebrating her 54th birthday. Her claim to fame was singing the theme song to "Ally McBeal." Wonder how long she'll keep riding that pony.
The babysitter that brought down the PTL Club, Jessica Hahn, turns 58 today.
Shelley Duvall, Robert's little girl, turns 68 today. I remember her best as Jack Nicholson's wife in "The Shining." I had a vacation like that once.
Ringo Starr is 77. He's half of the surviving Beatles. The old joke, back in the day was, "A guy walks into a barbershop and says, 'Make me look like Ringo Starr.' So the barber grabbed a brush and broke his nose." I didn't say it was a good joke.
Father-Daughter Take a Walk Together Day -- Doctors say walking is the most important part of a healthy life! Walking not only helps you lose weight -- it could save your life. According to health and nutrition expert Dayle Hayes, moderate physical exercise like walking is the single most potent weapon you have in the fight against aging, obesity and disease. A 45-minute walk three times a week has been proven to promote weight loss, boost brain activity and prevent breast cancer.
National Strawberry Sundae Day -- Did you know a woman's favorite ice-cream flavor can reveal a her passion preferences. Alan Hirsch, M.D., author of "What Flavor Is Your Personality?," dishes out what your creamy cravings mean.
- If you indulge in vanilla, your love style is: Romantic, you enjoy mushy movies, and floral prints probably adorn your bedroom. You'd be happy with another vanilla lover who is as poetic as you.
- If you indulge in strawberry, your love style is: Cautious. You can be a bit of an introvert and may need an upbeat guy, so you'd be blissful with a chocolate-chip lover who has happy-go-lucky vibes.
- If you indulge in butter pecan, your love style is: Devoted. You'd never forget your guy's birthday or favorite food, and you'd bond best with another butter-pecan fan who will appreciate your attention to details.
- If you indulge in chocolate chip, your love style is: Flirtatious. You're a charmer who can't stand to lose any guy you've set your heart on. You'd melt for a chocolate lover who'd be drawn to your intensity.