ON THIS DAY
- To promote her chocolates, I imagine.
- Back in those days, that was a major scandal. These days, it's just one of those things uncovered about someone running for office.
- It was to settle a bet: a candy-maker had said, "If you ride naked through the streets, I'll name a rich, dark chocolate after you." And the rest was history.
- Frankly, I'm more interested in her chocolates.
- Hey, we have reenactments at Gettysburg and the Potomac... where are the history buffs when you need them?
In 1890, Wyoming became our 44th state. It was originally going to be called just Oming... but someone asked, "Why Oming?" and that sounded better.
On this date in 1919, President Wilson delivered the Treaty of Versailles to the Senate. Back then, being president didn't pay that well and Wilson's delivery job was a nice source of extra income. Decent pay, nice benefits.
In 1925, the Soviet Union created TASS, their official news agency. Their motto was, "All the news you're going to hear."
On this date in 1933, the first police radio system began operating in New York. Until then, "Calling all cars! Calling all cars!" had to be yelled. Very loudly.
In this date in 1966, Orbiter I launched on it's mission to the moon. Ironically, Orbiter 1 landed on the moon, while Lander 1 orbited.
On this date in 1975, Cher ended her marriage to Greg Allman after only 10 days. She managed to out-Kardashian Kardashian!
In 1984, the jump-rope record of 418 turns in one minute was set by Tyrone Krohn in Middletown, New York. He was going to go for 419, but his friends said to skip it.
Wow and just like that, we're already 1/3 of the way through July.
Jessica Simpson is 37. But enough about her IQ -- it's her 37th birthday, too.
- To say she's not the brightest bulb would be an insult to light bulbs.
- She's over half-way to 70. Just wanted to freak her out.
- That's age, not IQ... I'm pretty sure.
Cher and Gregg Allman's son, Elijah Blue, turns 41. I wonder how many Cher final tours he's been alive for?
Sofia Vergara is 45, and I am talkin' years. And, on behalf of every guy listening right now, "So what?"
Jeff Bergman turns 57. He's today's voice of Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck. Hopefully, he can stick around for a while. I'm still not over losing Mel Blanc. Ironically, Blanc died on this date in 1989.
Silence Day -- the name the followers of Meher Baba give to their practice of commemorating July 10 of each year by maintaining verbal silence for twenty-four hours. When confronted by natural beauty, men prefer to contemplate it in silence. Women, for some reason, feel compelled to talk at just the moment when we most want quiet. Yes, Silence is the Final Frontier: Where No Woman Has Gone Before.