- Ancient hangovers were treated with bird beaks and tree sap
- The longest recorded hangover lasted four weeks
- The ATF shut down a vodka maker's "hangover-free" ad campaign
- Rabbit droppings were used as a hangover cure in the Old West
- Rich people have milder hangovers
The last thing you didn't know about hangovers is that they do discriminate -- cheapskates opting for the bar's well tequila over the top-shelf stuff could be in for a meaner hangover. A study of hangovers published by the National Institutes of Health indicated that some congeners -- compounds added to alcohol for color and flavor -- may "contribute to a beverage's intoxicating effects and to a subsequent hangover." Pricey liquors are distilled with higher purity, and they have fewer such congeners, including a potentially lethal one: methanol.