ON THIS DAY
- I look at all that stone used to build Rome and I've gotta ask: "So, what was burning?"
- The good news was that, by the time the fire was out, the emperor Nero was really good on the fiddle.
- And for the record: Rome didn't burn in a day.
In 1927, Ty Cobb got his 4,000th career hit. That record stood all the way up until the Clinton White House.
On this date in 1931, the very first air-conditioned ship was launched. Unfortunately, it went to Alaska and never got to use it.
In 1932, the U.S. and Canada signed a treaty to develop the St. Lawrence Seaway. In fact, to keep the agreement casual, they even renamed it the St. Larry Seaway.
On this date in 1938 Douglas "Wrong Way" Corrigan arrives in Ireland after he left New York for California. Think about it -- if he were alive today, he'd still probably be the best presidential candidate out there. You think he might have noticed that big lake on his way there.
In 1940, the movie "You're in the Army Now" premiered... and featured the longest kiss ever on screen: 3-minutes 15-seconds. The popularity of this movie inspired the sequel, "Birth of a Hickie."
Also in 1940, a helicopter was successfully flown for the first time. The inventor was so mad at the many failed flights, he had changed the original name, from the "heck-icopter" to the "Hell-icopter."
Vin Diesel hits the big 5-0 today. We'll let you tell him. Man, his voice is so low, he has to take off his socks to clear his throat.
- A lot of years, but of course, being a Diesel, he's good for a lot of miles.
- He's not only tough, but being Diesel, he gets better mileage.
- He used to be an affordable actor, but when he hit big, both movie producers and truck drivers both complained about the high cost of Diesel.
- He's working on a new movie where his Riddick character travels through time and becomes a Roman soldier. It'll be called, "Riddick-ulous"
Golfer and CBS golf host Nick Faldo hits a 60 today. He's won the British Open three times... and won it closed once.
Sir Richard Branson turns 67 today and still a Virgin... owner.
Martha Reeves, who made the song "Heat Wave" famous, turns 76 today. It was around this time of year she'd start to sing it and people would say, "Shut up!"
James Brolin, Josh's dad, turns 77 today. He's basically Mr. Barbra Streisand. 19 years now.
60's singer Dion turns 78 today. "Runaround Sue" is now "Walker Around Wanda."
National Caviar Day -- According to the FDA, the only fish that produces real caviar is Sturgeon.