In 1812, Napoleon began his attack on Russia. Moscow had done some things to irritate Napoleon and he was a little short. Of course, he was always a little short.
On this date in 1839, the very first baseball game was played in America.
It just finished about two hours ago. Up until that time, we had no comparison to watching grass grow.
- Some say it was like watching grass grow, but that was actually the day before.
- That explains why it was billed as the "Battle of the Unbeatens."
- On that very same day, Jeremiah Bonds tested positive for a banned substance.
- They also had some bugs to work out. Like, it was okay for the peanut guy to toss 'em to the crowd, but they finally had to tell the hot chocolate guy to knock it off.
- Both pitchers started the game with a 0.00 era.
- The biggest challenge was finding a blind person to umpire.
In 1931, Mobster Al Capone was indicted on 5000 violations of prohibition and perjury. Proving he was ahead of his time, he blamed it all on Wikileaks and Donald Trump.
On this date in 1939, 100 years to the day after baseball was invented, the baseball Hall of Fame opened up in Cooperstown. Little did they know that eventually they'd have to build a steroids wing.
Tomorrow is Tuesday, the 13th, if you're extremely superstitious.
Singer Robyn turns 38 today. If you're looking for a last-minute gift idea, how about a last name? And as a birthday treat, no Batman jokes.
Meredith Brooks, who sang "Bitch," turns 59 today.
- All you have to do is wish her a happy birthday and she'll tell you the name of her hit.
- Seems to me, if you're going to be remembered for just one song, that wouldn't be the one.
- She only had one hit, we can't say it on the air, so what good does that do me?
- She had a hit a few years back called, "Biotch"... well, the single consonant version.
Marv Albert turns 76 today and plans to settle for biting birthday cake. "Yes! His voice still says basketball to me, although his hair says Donald Trump. He'll be handling the pre and post-cake show himself.
Surprise, surprise surprise! Jim Nabors celebrates his 87th birthday today. Jim became famous as "Gomer Pyle" in the days before "Don't ask, don't tell."
Richard Sherman turns 89 today. No, the other one. This is the composer of Mary Poppins' "Chim Chim Cheree."
Red Rose Day -- It honors the flower that is a symbol of love and romance, the red rose. The June birth flower is the rose. Red roses were used in many early cultures as decorations in wedding ceremonies and wedding attire. And forget about secret admirers out of the nearly 200 million roses sold on St. Valentine's Say, a whopping 15 percent are bought by women who sent the love tokens to themselves. And today's the day to do it.