- They were the forerunners of the Dollar store, where people would come in and ask, "How much to play this?" "A nickel." "How much to play this?" "A nickel."
- Things were great until they had a problem with Rugrats.
- It was very popular among rug rats and people who liked to get slimed.
- Put in a nickel and you could watch part of a movie. Sort of the Netflix of its time.
On this date in 1917, as World War I raged on, England's King George V ordered the British royal family to get rid of all German titles and surnames. That's when the family took the name Windsor. Prince Schnickelgruber took it the hardest.
In 1934, the FCC was created... and might I just add, what a wonderful government agency it is. Such fine people. Of course, those are the folks who make sure we don't say (BLEEP or SFX), (BLEEP or SFX) and especially, (BLEEP or SFX), on the air. Who could (BLEEP or SFX)-in' blame them? Oh (BLEEP), I forgot to send a card this year. We'll be off the air by tomorrow.
On this date in 1945, millions of New Yorkers turned out to cheer General Dwight D. Eisenhower, who was honored with a parade. Well, almost everyone cheered. Except the street sweepers.
In 1963, Soviet cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova returned to earth after spending nearly 3 days as the first woman in space. Once again, women were smarter about it -- we'll let the men go up first and make sure it's safe.
On this date in 1984, the movie rating PG-13 went into effect. It's an abbreviation that stands for "this R-rated movie is so good, more people should see it!"
Macklemore celebrates his 34th birthday without Ryan Lewis.
Zoe Saldana from Guardians of the Galaxy turns 39 today... in this universe. One-time Laker Girl, one-time American Idol judge and dancer Paula Abdul is a birthday girl today. Straight up -- she's 55.
- "Pauler," as Simon Cowell called her.
- "Straight Up" isn't as easy as it used to be.
- She was once an Idol Judge. Now, she just idle.
Ann Wilson of "Heart" is 67. She can still belt out a tune, the belt's just a little bit bigger these days.
Phylicia Rashad, Bill Cosby's one time TV wife Clair, turns 69 today. She doesn't act much these days... just livin' off the reruns.
National Martini Day -- a gin martini is 200 calories, shaken, not stirred.
National Eat an Oreo Day -- Psychologists have discovered that the manner in which people eat Oreo cookies provides great insight into their personalities. Choose which method best describes your favorite method of eating Oreos:
- The whole thing all at once.
- One bite at a time.
- Slow and methodical nibbles examining the results of each bite afterwards.
- In little feverous nibbles.
- Dunked in some liquid (milk, coffee, etc.).
- Twisted apart, the inside, then the cookie.
- Twisted apart, the inside, and toss the cookie.
- Just the cookie, not the inside.
- I just like to lick them, not eat them.
- I don't have a favorite way because I don't like Oreo.