- Phillip Morris has a New Year's Resolution: they're going to give up cigarettes! They took out an ad last week, saying that their plans include getting completely out of the tobacco business.
- Yesterday, the first Sunday in January, was the busiest day of the year for online dating sites, according to Plenty of Fish, Tinder, Match.com and Bumble.
- Christina Aguilera's dog Stinky has died. He was 17.
- Ray Thomas, Moody Blues Flautist and Founding Member, died last week at the age of 76.
- Jerry Van Dyke, the younger brother of Dick Van Dyke who starred in "My Mother, The Car" and "Coach," died Friday in Arkansas. He was 86.
- President Obama will be the first guest on "My Next Guest Needs No Introduction with David Letterman," set to begin January 12 on Netflix.
- Jon Paul Steuer, a musician and '90s child star who once starred on "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and "Grace Under Fire," has died. He was 33.
- "Jeopardy!" host Alex Trebek announced on YouTube that he's on a leave of absence from the show after undergoing brain surgery for blood clots that were "caused by a fall I endured two months ago."
- John Young, who was one of NASA's most experienced astronauts and the first to fly in space six times, including a moon landing, died on Friday after complications from pneumonia. He was 87.
- Macy's has closed 7 stores, and cut 5,000 jobs.
- Sears is going to close 64 more stores and 39 K-mart locations. Sears is now a third of the size it was in 2006.
- Coachella tickets went on sale Friday. The two-weekend desert fest takes place in Indio, CA, April 13-15 and April 20-22. Among the acts scheduled: Beyonce, Eminem and The Weeknd, plus Cardi B, Migos, HAIM, Fleet Foxes, War on Drugs and Kygo.
- Both Hyundai and Volkswagen say they'll have self-driving taxis on the road by 2021.
- Be strong. HBO says the next new episodes of Game of Thrones won't be until 2019.
- Jimmy Iovine, the music mogul who sold Beats to Apple in 2014, is reportedly leaving Apple later this year in August.
- Hulu and Steven Spielberg are teaming up to bring back the Animaniacs.
- There's a new chain of Japanese restaurants opening in Britain called Patrons at Zauo, where you can catch the fish that you have prepared for you. There's a moat that surrounds the dining area, filled with seafood.
- That explosive book about the Trump White House was published on Friday, four days earlier than planned, just in case the White House had any luck in legally blocking it from release.
- The screenwriter for the remake of "Cleopatra" says it will contain "dirt, blood, swearing and lots of sex."
- Venture capitalist Peter Thiel is reportedly looking into starting a competitor to Fox News.
Monday, January 8, 2018
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
It’s a Blitz of the Hits Everyday on Desert Radio AZ - The 50s thru 2016 - Pop, Rock, Country, R&B, Blues, Hip Hop, & more We pl...
Born On This Day... In 1440 Ivan III (the Great), grand prince of Russia In 1561 English statesman/philosopher, Francis Bacon ...