ON THIS DAY
- It pleased him enough that he changed his name to Ivan not as Terrible as he once was.
- Those who refused to perform at his coronation were executed. It was a different time.
- He later went on to create his own show, "Dancing with the Czars."
- He beat out his brother, Uri the Pretty Bad, Too, But Not As Bad As Ivan.
- The good thing about being known as "terrible," everyone expects you to be a lousy tipper.
- He of course was the inspiration for the movie, "A Czar is Scorned."
The late Ethel Merman was born on this date in 1909. She was a one-of-a-kind. As far as singers go, there was regular... and then there was Ethel.
On this date in 1920, the U.S. went dry as the 18th amendment went into effect and prohibition became law. From 3-6 every afternoon, most bars held "Unhappy Hours."
It was on this date in 1939 that DuPont introduced nylon fishing leader.
- Some would have preferred going with the quart size, but they instead, went with the leader.
- The tough part was getting the nylons on the fish.
- Until that time, people could only use nylon fishing follower.
- The tough part was the tying the panty hose on to your fishing line.
On this date in 1939 that Superman first appeared in a comic book. So, doing the math, that would make the Man of Steel 78 years old. Probably starting to get rusty. Of course, being about the man of steel, the comic weighed over 30-pounds.
In 1974, the book "Jaws" was published, giving the term "bite me" a whole new meaning.
Composer Lin-Manuel Miranda turns 38 today. He's so financially successful, he can actually afford tickets to "Hamilton."
Kate Moss is 44 today, which is 236 in model years. Kate Moss turns 43 today. She is most famous for modeling and being cleared of drug charges.
Sultry singer Sade is 59 today, one year for each of the ways her name is pronounced.
- People still pronounce her name 15 ways: Sha-day, Shar-day, Sadie.
- If it weren't for her, I wouldn't have to keep denying that her song "Smooth Operator" is all about me. I don't have to deny hard, but I still have to deny it.
- No "sh" in her name, yet everybody pronounces it. Then why isn't it shinger Shaday?
Scary movie director John Carpenter turns 70 today. He gave us "The Thing" and "Halloween." Yeah, he's the guy.
Jim Stafford, who gave us "Spiders and Snakes" and "My Girl, Bill," turns 74 today. I guess that's some kind of legacy to leave behind. It would make me want to not leave.
Country singer Ronnie Milsap turns 75 today. His biggest hit was "No getting over you" (so I guess I'll walk around). I made up that last part.
Racing legend A.J. Foyt has been around the track a few times. He's turns 83 today.