- That of course was the inspiration for the famous quote, "OK, who's the genius who forgot to tell me we were in Canada?"
- Immediately afterwards, a general looked at his map and said, "Boys, I think we might have made a wrong turn."
In 1789, Benjamin Franklin wrote a letter to a friend stating, "In this world nothing can said to be certain, except death and taxes."
- His friend was a hitman that was also a tax accountant, so it was very true.
- Probably his second most-famous quote, right behind, "Oh, go fly a kite!"
- Of course, if he were around today, he probably just would have written that on his Facebook page.
On this date in 1875, football players in the Harvard/Yale game were the first wear uniforms.
- Yeah, not everyone was into naked football, not that there's anything wrong with that.
- This after an unfortunate incident the previous year, when Yale accidentally gang-tackled an innocent tuba player.
- I'll just assume they wore some kind of clothes prior to this.
- Why they refused to wear them before is beyond me.
- After a while, they realized the ties probably weren't a good idea.
On this date in 1942, the minimum draft age was lowered from 21 to 18. That was back when fake ID went the other direction: "22? Oh, no, look: I'm 17!"
In 1972, the Holland Tunnel opened up between New York and New Jersey. They called it the Holland tunnel because New York and New Jersey went in Dutch on it.
Oh-oh... it's Monday the 13th! Thanksgiving is a week from Thursday.
Michael "Mr. Knee" Bennett of the Seattle Seahawks is 32 today.
Jimmy Kimmel turns the big 5-0 today. No mean tweets, please. He's the Jimmy that didn't take over for Jay Leno.
Whoopi Goldberg turns 62 today.
- Will she retire? Retire from what?
- One of the few famous people in dreadlocks outside of the NFL.
- Who knew when her folks were making whoopee they were making Whoopi.