ON THIS DAY
- With a name like Peregrine, they must have had an agreement to name him the first thing they say after he was born. Good thing there weren't any platypus in the area.
- They were proud of their little Butterball.
- Obviously, the pilgrims were getting short on their rations and apparently, that included baby names.
- His parents were so excited, the father yelled out, "Tonight we're gonna party like its 1699!"
- His boss said two things: "Nice job" and "You're late!"
- To show what a company man he was, he only worked on it during his breaks.
- Just in time for overtime.
- They put it to work immediately at the shoe store he worked at.
- He then punched out early to go celebrate.
On this date in 1914, the U.S. government began requiring photos on passports. If nothing else, to stop the flood of John Smith's entering the country.
In 1953, an airplane exceeded 1300 mph for the very first time. He was so fast, they actually lost his luggage before he took off.
On this date in 1962, President John F. Kennedy lifted the naval quarantine and ended the episode known as the Cuban Missile Crisis.
- It was like the whole North Korea thing, but in Spanish.
- About as close to a nuclear war any of us would ever want to get.
- He immediately reached for the Visine, as he wasn't able to blink for the previous two weeks.
In 1971, hunting from airplanes was made illegal. But you can still fish from them. Or, except for parking places at the mall during the Christmas shopping season.
Country singer Josh Turner turns the big 4-0. He's got that really deep voice, where you have to take off your socks to clear your throat.
While we're talking country singers, Dierks Bentley has a two-year lead -- he's 42 today. He still has a lot of leavin' left to do.
Pianist/composer/nice guy Jim Brickman turns 56 today. If you ever get a chance to talk with him, ask him about the time he gave it up and did drive-through requests at a McDonalds.
Bo Derek is 61. At one point in her career, she was a 10.
- Now she's almost 6 of them!
- Now, that's as late as she can stay up.
- At one time, she was considered a perfect "10." Now she's over five times that.
Joe Walsh of the Eagles turns the big 7-0 today.
- Life's been good to him... so far.
- No need to throw him a surprise party. Every day, people surprise him by telling Joe... "Hey, you're Joe Walsh!" "I am? Cool!"
- I heard he's got a new song out: "Life's been good to me, so fart."
Wow, Norman Greenbaum turns 75. The "Spirit in the Sky" may be closer than it appears.
Dick Smothers turns 78 today. He's the one that mom likes best.