- Obviously, popcorn for Thanksgiving didn't catch on.
- The good news about Thanksgiving in February is that it would mean a couple of football games to watch today.
- He then said, "OK, we've done our part. Now you invent movies!"
- He actually introduced the popcorn by singing an ancient Native American song: "Let's all go to the lobby, let's all go to the lobby..."
- One asked, "So, when's the movie start?" and the chief replied, "In around 300 years!"
- The popcorn was introduced to the new settler by the local Reddenbachier tribe.
It was on this date in 1819 that Spain ceded Florida to the United States with the agreement that no one named Jeb should ever be elected governor. I'm expecting this one to go to court any day now.
On this date in 1732 George Washington, the first U.S. president, was born.
- He was famous for that quote, "I cannot tell a lie... but once we get some interns in here, whoa boy, watch out!"
- Today is the real George Washington's birthday. All those who remember the days when we got both Lincoln's birthday and Washington's birthday off as separate holidays... keep it to yourself.
In 1856, the very first meeting of the Republican Party took place. A very young Johnny McCain gave the first speech.
Golf was first demonstrated in America way, way back in 1888 -- Men's Health asks, "Are you the Bogey Man? Or just teed off?" See how you're fairing on the fairway.
- Age at which the average guy starts playing golf: 29.
- Age at which Tiger Woods turned pro: 20.
- The average guy's 18-hole handicap: 16 over par. What he'd settle for: 13 over.
- Distance the average guy can drive the ball: 200 yards.
- Total amount of golf related expenses the average executive charges to his company annually: $1,485.
- Number of execs would let a client beat them if they thought it would help them get business: 1 in 5.
- Number of Fortune 500 CEOs who chat at golf: 1 in 3.
- Golf balls he'll lose in the water, the woods, or thin air: 4,735.
- Number-one golf-course related injury: Hit by a golf ball.
- Odds the average guy will hit a hole in one: 1 in 26,500.
- Percentage of male golfers who'd rather get a whole in one than see their child hit a home run: 10.
- The average guy's most common complaint about course conditions: Greens are too slow.
- The average guy's favorite golf movie: "Caddyshack." Runner-up: "Happy Gilmore."
- Number who have crashed a golf cart: 1 in 3.
- Percentage of men who admit that they've teed off from the women's tee: 6.
- Percentage who think they could beat a female pro golfer (playing from the women's tee): 12.
- Number of men who'd rather have a great round of golf than a great night of sex: 3 in 10.
- Percentage of men who fantasize about having sex on the golf course: 75.
On this date in 1902, Major Walter Reed showed that mosquitoes carry yellow fever. In the past, they had believed that yellow fever was tied to the old oak tree.
In 1924, President Calvin Coolidge gave the first ever radio broadcast by one of our nation's leader. His first words: "Am I caller number 9?"
On this day in 1935, it became illegal for airplanes to fly over the White House, except for paper ones.
In 1977, the Boy Scouts changed their name to "Scouting USA." Did anyone notice?
There was a time this was a national holiday because its George Washington's actual birthday.
- Used to be, we got Lincoln and Washington's birth off as separate holidays.
- The last American president ever to say, "I cannot tell a lie."
- If you're old enough, you remember when we would get this off as a holiday.
- See, it should have been a three-day weekend.
Drew Barrymore turns 43 today. She's been looking great after having been on that Santa Clarita Diet. Even if things have started falling off. She hasn't spoken to E.T. in 37 years. E.T. is just as surprised she made it this far, too.
James Blunt is 44... and beautiful.
Jeri Ryan celebrates her birthday today. 7 of 9 is now 5 and 0. Back in the "Star Trek: Voyager" days, she played Seven of Nine, although her nickname was "9 out of 10." She's down to around 7 these days.
If Pebbles Flintstone was real, she would be 55 today. Then again, if she were real, she'd probably only admit to 39.
Kyle MacLachlan turns 59 today. He got on our radar during "Twin Peaks" and has come a long way since those days at Eisenhower High School in Yakima, WA.