ON THIS DAY
Author Mary Shelly was born way back in 1851. She wrote "Frankenstein," but sadly, he never wrote back.
On this date in 1858, the very first electric burglar alarm is installed in Boston, MA.
- It was such a great idea, the alarm was stolen the next day.
- However, it never did catch an electric burglar.
- They had a few bugs to work out. For example, the early models came with a snooze button.
In 1866, Lucy Hobbs became the first woman in America to graduate from a dental school. Up until then, the only thing they were allowed to do was be on the drill team.
On this date in 1878, the very first phone book was published. Up until that time, all telemarketers could do was sit around and randomly dial numbers.
In 1887, Oregon became the first U.S. state to make Labor Day a holiday.
- Seriously, how could the idea of a three-day weekend in September not catch on.
- Yes, let's honor work by not doing it. To me, that's a daily celebration.
- Ironically, it took a lot of work to get that day off.
- Yes, the campaign was led by the "We desperately need a day off in September" committee.
- How could anyone think a 3-day weekend in September would be a bad idea?
On this date in 1947, Edwin Land invented his Polaroid Instant Camera, that took pictures that developed within 60-seconds. He was also author of the book, "The 1-minute selfie."
Charlotte Church turns 32 today. Listening to her does NOT count as going to church.
Jennifer Love Hewitt turns 39 today.
- I always thought her name sounded like a tennis score.
- I'd say she seems a little "out there" but the ones out there take offense to that.
- Of all the things she could do on her birthday, going down to the beach and posing in a swimsuit is probably not on her list.
Kelsey Grammer made it to 63-years-old today, despite his best efforts.
- He was on "Cheers," "Frasier," Sideshow Bob on "The Simpsons" and gave us an ex that helped put "Real Housewives" on the map.
- He spent almost half of his life on TV as Frasier Crane, the other half in reruns.
- One thing is for sure, his TV shows tend to last longer than his marriages.