I know it was a great invention at the time, but I don't know why. I just can't put my thumb on it.
The Inventor's Guild gave the invention one thumb up.
A thimble is something is used in a mysterious practice known as "sewing." Not exactly sure what that is, but I know a needle is involved. Must have something to do with drugs.
In 1792, a highwayman named Nicolas Jacques Pelletier received the honor of being the first person executed under French law by the guillotine.
- He never had time to let it go to his head.
- The honor might have gone to his head, but it couldn't.
- It was then featured item of the day on the Home Chopping Network.
On this date in 1901, New York became the first state to require license plates for cars.
- The fee was one dollar. These days, that doesn't even cover the service fee.
- Back then, it cost $1 for your license plate. These days, they can't even make them for that.
- Up until that time, all inmates made were doilies. And really, how many doilies do you really need?
In 1928, the very first guide dog for the blind was assigned to a man named Morris Frank. The dog replaced his useless guide goldfish. It was German Shepherd named Buddy. Or, at least, that's what they told him.
Exactly 8 months away from Christmas.
Renee Zellweger turns 49 and continues to be the poster child for not having plastic surgery.
- You never really hear of her that much anymore. Of course, she never really heard of me to begin with.
- She always looks like she would really rather be wearing sunglasses.
- I've never met her, but I've heard that she's "different"... which is code, of course, for a little "out there."
Hank Azaria turns 54 today. He's multiple voices on the Simpsons. In fact, take his salary and divide it by the characters and he's making $10 a voice. If you've never seen him in "The Birdcage," you owe it to yourself. in "The Birdcage."
Al Pacino is 78 but doesn't act his age. Although, he could if he wanted to.
World Penguin Day -- There are 17 species of penguins, and all their natural habitats are in the Southern hemisphere. Did you know the Emperor Penguin is the biggest of the 17 penguin species? The largest gathering of people dressed as penguins is 972, achieved by Youngstown State University (USA) at the YSU WATTS Center in Youngstown, OH, on October 28, 2017. Under the rules, each participant had to be dressed head to toe as a penguin that consisted of a beak, a black and white bodysuit and webbed feet.