In The Dog House
- A whopping 63% of all American households have at least one pet. But contrast, only about one-third of homes have a child under the age of 18, according to the Census Bureau.
- We spend a staggering $34 billion a year on pet products and services, according to the Census Bureau's reckoning of retail sales. That's more than we spend on hardware and even on jewelry.
- 90 million cats have places in our hearts and homes.
- 74 million pooches share our home and hearth, representing an 18% increase from seven years ago.
- We're very democratic in our love of different species. 41% of homes with a dog also count a cat as part of the family, blowing the myth that the four-footers fight like, well, cats and dogs.