The top 10 most bizarre -- but real -- excuses for being late to work:
- I forgot it wasn't the weekend.
- I put petroleum jelly in my eyes.
- I thought Flag Day was a federal holiday.
- The wind blew the deck off my house.
- I overslept because my kids changed all the clocks in the house.
- I was cornered by a moose.
- My mother-in-law wouldn't stop talking.
- My mother locked me in a closet.
- The sunrise was so beautiful that I had to stop and take it in.
- My dad offered to make me a grilled cheese sandwich, and I just couldn't say no.
The five most common excuses for being late to work:
Traffic: 49 percent
Oversleeping: 32 percent
Bad weather: 26 percent
Too tired to get out of bed: 25 percent
Procrastination: 17 percent