In 1806, having reached the Pacific Coast, explorers Lewis and Clark begin their journey back east. This should really be "National U-Turn Day." At least they knew they had it the midway point of their trip.
On this date in 1840, the very first picture of the moon was taken.
- Up until that point, it was very shy. And cameras hadn't been invented yet.
- I can't imagine that would have been too difficult. It's not like you have catch it when it's still.
- What does the moon say when you take it's picture? Cheese!
- Of course, the moon wanted to know if they got his good side.
- It held off for a long time because it was sensitive about its craters. To be clear, it was a picture of the moon... not a moon.
On this date in 1929, the very first telephone was installed in the White House.
- Up until then, prank calls had to be made by telegram... and it just wasn't as funny.
- Up until that time, the president always had to go out for pizza.
- Up until then, there was nothing really to bug.
- And, to no one's surprise, the very first pizza was also ordered from the White House.
Britain's Princess Eugenie, the daughter of Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson, the original 'Fergie', turns 28-ee. It would be nice if Christina Aguilera would sing "Eugenie in a Bottle" to her.
Gossip columnist Perez Hilton turns the big 4-0 today and we'll be nice to him because otherwise, he might tell you about... oh, never mind.
Keri Russell turns 42 today. She's on the TV series, "The Americans." Her job was to make The Americans great again. Whatever... Can a "Felicity" reunion show be far behind?
Actress Lori Petty ("A League of Their Own," "Point Break") turns 55 today. She always reminds me of that old cliche, "Don't sweat the petty things when you can pet the sweaty things."
Chaka Kahn. Chaka Kahn. Let me tell you where she's at -- she's 65. But I wouldn't bring it up... or you could suffer the wrath of Kahn. Britain's Princess Eugenie turns 28 today. She was the royal born during the great British name shortage of 1990. She used to be with Rufus... .the band, not the person.
Former Playboy model Karen McDougal turns 47 today. As a policy, we don't mention birthdays of former Playboy models unless they're suing to talk about their affair with the president.
Ric Ocasek of The Cars turns 69 today. So that now means he's considered a classic.
Toast Day -- the day that Australian opera singer Nellie Melba revealed her Melba Toast recipe. Have a toast toss. Listeners are judged on accuracy, distance, etc.