ON THIS DAY
In 1797, Nathan Briggs of New Hampshire received a patent for the washing machine.
- Now, people just had to wait for electricity to be discovered.
- He got the idea while having a whirlpool of ideas while eating a Maytag salad.
- The amazing device that attracts college kids home for the weekend.
- He had help from his best friend, Spin Dry.
- Up until that time, most women washed their men's shirts by pounding them with rocks... usually, while they were wearing them.
- His kids in college immediately announced they would start coming home on Sunday afternoons.
On this date in 1866, the very first ambulance began service. At last, lawyers everywhere had something to chase. Lots of people were very excited... although, most of them were lawyers.
On this in 1867, U.S. Secretary of State Seward began the official purchase of Alaska for $7.2 million. He said, "My only hope is that some day, someone won't say I can see Russia from my front porch!"
In 1881, Barnum and Bailey introduced "The Greatest Show On Earth." At first, they were quite organized. But in time, it just turned into a circus.
On this date in 1925, Nebraska adopted their official state flag. Shhh: it doesn't know it's adopted. Actually, by having an official state flag, it forced them to get a new state song and replace the old one, "You're a grand old pole."
Constantinople changed its name to Istanbul in 1930, so they could fit the country's name on t-shirts.
On this date in 1980, the Prime Interest Rate hits 19.5%. Even loan sharks were saying, "Oh, come on!" Or, even loan sharks were saying, "Oh that's just too high!"
Lady Gaga turns 32 today. Between you and me, she's not really royalty. But you knew that...
Julia Styles is 37 today. Would you have guessed she's 5 years older than Lady Gaga? Do you realize her age has doubled since she started acting?
Vince Vaughn celebrates birthday number 48 today. VV trivia: he's a blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I heard he was working on a movie about a guy who wears contacts, "The Wetting Solution Crashers."
Cheryl James, better known as Salt in Salt 'n Pepa, turns 52.
- I stay away from here because I'm supposed to avoid sodium.
- Hey, if your doctor told you to watch the sodium, she was the one to watch.
- There were rumors she was going to try to revive her career and team up with the Energizer Bunny, forming a new group, Salt 'n Battery.