ON THIS DAY
- There may be other uses, but its primary function is being a piece in the game of Monopoly.
- I know it was a great invention at the time, but I don't know why. I just can't put my thumb on it.
- The Inventor's Guild gave the invention one thumb up.
- A thimble is something is used in a mysterious practice known as "sewing." Not exactly sure what that is, but I know a needle is involved. Must have something to do with drugs.
On this date in 1792, Nicolas Jacques Pelletier had the honor of the first person to be publicly guillotined in France.
- The honor might have gone to his head, but it couldn't.
- It was then featured item of the day on the Home Chopping Network.
On this date in 1901, New York became the first state to require license plates for cars.
- The fee was one dollar. These days, that doesn't even cover the service fee.
- Back then, it cost $1 for your license plate. These days, they can't even make them for that.
- Up until that time, all inmates made were doilies. And really, how many doilies do you really need?
In 1928, the very first guide dog for the blind was assigned to a man named Morris Frank. The dog replaced his useless guide goldfish. It was German Shepherd named Buddy. Or, at least, that's what they told him.
Wow, we're exactly 8 months away from Christmas!
Renee Zellweger turns 48 and continues to be the poster child for not having plastic surgery.
You never really hear of her that much anymore. Of course, she never really heard of me to begin with.
She always looks like she would really rather be wearing sunglasses.
I've never met her, but I've heard that she's "different"... which is code, of course, for a little "out there."
Hank Azaria turns 53 today. He's multiple voices on the Simpsons. In fact, take his salary and divide it by the characters and he's making $10 a voice. If you've never seen him in "The Birdcage," you owe it to yourself.
Al Pacino turns 77 today. I remember when someone first said his name to me... and I replied, "Well, Al Pacino if you will!"
World Penguin Day -- A new penguin world record set was set last November by people dressed as penguins -- 325 of them to be exact in London. Under the rules, each participant had to be dressed head to toe as a penguin that consisted of a beak, a black and white bodysuit and webbed feet.
It's National Hug A Plumber Day!
MY OTHER THOUGHTS FOR TODAY
A new tool allows people to see if their computer is infected with NSA spyware. Or, you could just look at your computer and say out loud, "Apparently, it is."
A study says that being skinny is linked to depression. These extra pounds are mental health, baby!
Amazon keeps offering these "Lightning Deals." I don't really need any lightning, but if I ordered some, I can't imagine taking more than a day to get here.
Remember: you've got the power. But that also means you've got the power bill.
Show of hands -- who's all for putting the giraffe on birth control?