ON THIS DAY
In 1519, Cortez landed in Mexico.
- That was so long ago, it was back before they spoke Spanish in Mexico.
- I don't exactly what the natives said when he landed, but loosely translated, it was something like, "Well, there goes the neighborhood!"
- Mexico is not quite the resort area it is today. Unfortunately, his luggage had been sent to Bolivia.
On this day in 1639, Harvard University is named for clergyman John Harvard. It was this close to being John University.
In 1781, the planet Uranus was discovered by Sir William Herschel.
- So apparently, he gets credit for that name.
- Talk about a tough job -- selling the idea of calling this new planet Uranus. * Let that be a lesson: never discover a new planet when you're feuding with your landlord. If you are, then those are the kinds of names that come to mind.
On this day in 1868, the impeachment trial of President Andrew Johnson began... after that unfortunate incident with a young White House intern, Harriet Lewinsky.
In 1877, Maine teenager Chester Greenwood patented the earmuffs. When someone said, "Congratulations!" Chester replied, "What?" He said it was to keep his ears warm, but really to muffle the sound of his parents.
On this date in 1884, standard time was adopted in the United States. Oh-Oh... I'm not sure if it knew it was adopted. Ironically, just in time to make the switch to Daylight Saving Time.
Danny Masterson turns 42 today. He was Hyde on "That 70s Show." Later, we found out that there was a Dr. Jekyll side to him as well.
Rap singer and actor Common turns 46 today. But that's nothing special.
Annabeth Gish turns 47 today. She's an OK actress, but what I really like about her is that she's got a great name for a sobriety test: "Annabeth Gish. Now, say that six times, fast!"
Dana Delany turns 62. She was a member of "Desperate Housewives" and then the short-lived "Body of Proof." In her case, you just never know when it's going to be your last episode.
William H. Macy turns 68 today. He looks good. Must be the magic of Macy's.
Neil Sedaka turns 79 today. Breaking up is still hard to do but just plain breaking is easier than ever.