- While Columbus had the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria, Amerigo did it all on one ship: the Fuggetaboutit.
- America was named for him, because "the United States of Vespucci" didn't have the same ring to it.
- He was honored to have America named after him, but wasn't happy they spelled it wrong.
- America was named for him. It's a good thing his first name was "Canado" or things could have been really confusing.
In 1503, Christopher Columbus discovered the Cayman Islands and opened up a secret bank account. As he left, he said, "See you later, alligator" and the locals yelled back, "No, Cayman!"
On this date in 1774, Louis XVI became King Of France at the age of four.
- Of course, one of the first things he did was ban naps.
- The following day, the booster throne was invented.
- He was a pretty good ruler, as long as he got in his royal naps.
- He was so small, he had to sit in a Playskool throne.
On this date in 1908, the very first Mother's Day was observed. Imagine if they hadn't started Mother's Day until today, and how disappointed mom would be that it was on a Monday. Plus, the panic as millions of Americans who ran to the store, only to discover the Mother's Day card hadn't been invented yet.
In 1924, J. Edgar Hoover was named the director of the FBI and celebrated by buying a new dress.
Lauren Potter -- she played Becky in Glee -- turns 26 today.
Rap singer Young M.C. isn't anymore. Today, he turns 50. Doesn't take much to bust anything these days.
Krist Novoselic, former bassist of Nirvana, turns 52 today. If he would just change his last name to "Former Member of Nirvanna," at least more people would spell it right. Back in the days when he played with Nirvana, he was known as the man with all the vowels.
Model Linda Evangelista also turns 52 today. Actually, when you're in that profession, turning 52 pretty much means you've become an out-dated model.
Paul Hewson turns 57 today. You know him better as Bono. Maybe this year someone will give him a last name.
Today is Homer Simpson's 62nd birthday. As a special treat, creator Matt Groening is going to draw him a keg of beer.
It's Clean Up Your Room Day --
National Receptionist Day -- the second Wednesday in May.