ON THIS DAY
- It was impressive for two reasons -- one, that it was part of a brand-new world never seen before by white settlers and two, he was able to actually find a place to park.
- He was the first international explorer to be flipped off by a cabbie.
- Even back then, he couldn't afford to live there.
- Minuit bought the island of Manhattan from the Indians for $24 in trinkets. Actually, it was $22 for the island and $2 in closing costs.
- He wanted to buy it that day for $28 in beads, but decided to wait until the price came down.
- Actually, back then it was an island, too... but they didn't name it Manhattan until the drink came along. We think.
On this date in 1927, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts And Sciences was founded. The director had just started a great speech, when the orchestra began playing and he had to cut it short. Or, up until that point, when an actor won an award, they had no one to thank.
In 1932, Al Capone went to jail on income tax evasion charges. Ironically, he was assigned to the H and R block
On this date in 1973, Valerie Perrine appeared in the nude on PBS's "Steambath." Of course, these days, we'd all prefer more steam!
In 1976, Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Fraser announced that "Waltzing Matilda" would serve as his country's national anthem at the upcoming Olympic Games. Apparently "Tie me kangaroo down, sport" had a previous commitment.
On this date in 1987 the U.S. Supreme Court rules that Rotary Clubs must admit women.
Well as members, not just performers.
Actually, they had allowed women in before, but through the back door.
Ironically, it wasn't until women joined the Rotary Club that the first spinning class was held.
Of course, it's "Star Wars Day." May the 4th... be with you.
It's Cinco De Mayo Eve!
Lance Bass of 'N Sync turns 38 today. His autobiography was titled, "Out of Sync." It was between that and "Kitch 'n Sync." So, when does a Boy Band become a Man Band?
Mike Dirnt of Green Day is 45. I'd say "he's the odd one" but that wouldn't help.
Will Arnett turns 47 today. He's Amy Poehler's ex (really wanted that one to work out) and he's also Batman. Well, LEGO Batman.
Country singer Randy Travis turns 58 today. No explaining how. Mr. "Forever and Ever" is getting down to just "and ever!"
Pia Zadora turns 64, a year for every inch tall.
Jackie Jackson, one of the least known and most repetitive of the Jackson Five, turns 66 today. He'd be the LaToya of the Jackson family if there wasn't already one.
George Will turns 76. He's a political columnist who makes the FOX News Network look liberal. Star Wars Day -- Check out these Star Wars' Inspired Items To Help You Celebrate May The Fourth
MY OTHER THOUGHTS FOR TODAY
Whoever it was that said, "No man is an island" has obviously never seen my stomach in the bathtub.
I don't mean to sound snooty, but while I want to make it big someday, it's not becoming a "YouTube Star."
Kelly Ripa announced that Ryan Seacrest will become her new permanent co-host. One more thing to tick off North Korea's Kim Jong Un.
Michael Moore has suggested that Dwayne Johnson -- the Rock -- should run for president. Remember back when that would have been unthinkable?