Thursday, October 12, 2017

WEIRD NEWS

Yeah, Don't Go to Dubai

Jamie Harron is a 27-year-old Scottish electrician who stopped off in Dubai for a couple days en route to a new job in Afghanistan. Harron says he was walking with a drink in the crowded Rock Bottom Cafe when he almost bumped into another man. To help avoid impact, he put his hand out and inadvertently touched the other man's hip. So the police arrested him! The charges were public indecency and drinking alcohol, casting the electrician in a horrifying ordeal that shows no signs of ending anytime soon. Radha Stirling of the group "Detained in Dubai NGO" says, "This is another example of how vulnerable tourists are to arrest and detention in Dubai." Harron was locked up for five days and his passport was seized so he couldn't leave the country while the case is pending. Stirling says Harron "is under immense pressure and stress." He lost his job and has so far racked up more than $39,000 in legal bills and expenses for what he calls a "cultural misunderstanding." His parents say their son has never been in trouble before. His father, Graham Harron said, "We can't believe that this nightmare has gone on for three months. Jamie is a good boy." The legal troubles have left the family finances in shambles, and mom Patricia Harron desperate with worry. Harron says he has witnesses ready to back up his version in court. (BBC)

I Can't Live, If Living Is Without You

World-class alpinist Hayden Kennedy and his partner, Inge Perkins, were skiing in Montana on Saturday when an early-season avalanche on Imp Peak near Bozeman took the couple by surprise at 10,000 feet. The ensuing snow slide buried Perkins, 23, and partially covered Kennedy, 27. He searched in vain but never found Perkins. Unable to deal with the grief and shock, Kennedy headed home and took his own life. Kennedy didn't call 911 but left "incredibly clear directions for where to find her," according to Doug Chabot of the Gallatin National Forest Avalanche Center. Perkins, also an accomplished climber, was wearing a beacon that could have led rescuers to her, but it was turned off. Her body was recovered Monday morning under 3 feet of snow. The couple had moved to Bozeman so Perkins could pursue a degree in math and education at Montana State University. Kennedy, hailed in 2014 as maybe "the best young climber on the planet," was studying for an EMT certification. He wrote recently of the pain of seeing "too many friends go to the mountains only to never return ... Climbing is either a beautiful gift or a curse." (Bozeman Daily Chonicle)

The Etymology of the Word Fake: Donald Trump

Don't know if you caught it but President Donald Trump was interviewed on TBN and made a most unusual claim - that he invented the word fake. No kidding and no, this is NOT fake news. Trump said, "I think the word, one of the greatest of all time that I've come up with is fake." Then, perhaps realizing the absurdity of what he just said, he followed it with, "I guess other people have used it perhaps over the years but I've never noticed it and it's a shame." FYI - according to the Oxford Dictionaries website, the word fake originated in the "late 18th century." (Metro)

Today's Worst Parent Files

Here's today's worst parent story. In West Jordan, Utah, a 3-year-old boy was left behind in a corn maze by his folks. It seems the parents ventured into the Crazy Corn Maze with their child on Monday night and did not realized the kid was missing until the next morning! The boy was found by a good Samaritan who took him to the maze staff. They tried to locate his parents but they were not at the maze. The boy appeared to be fine but was taken to child protective services. The parents did not even bother to call police until Tuesday morning and told them the child might still be in the corn maze. The case is under investigation. (KUTV News)

About Your Airbnb Room

Derek Starnes and his wife are from Indiana. They were staying in a condo they rented on Airbnb in Longboat Key, Florida, when they discovered a camera and microphone hidden inside what appeared to be a smoke detector in the master bedroom and another in the living room! Starnes called police who seized a lot of computer storage data devices, hard drives, computers, laptops, SD cards, anything that would store data, and then arrested the owner of the condo, 56-year-old Wayne Natt. He was charged with video voyeurism. Det. Bob Bourque says they "are still reviewing how many victims there possibly are," but Starnes says Natt's Airbnb page had more than 40 reviews. Natt claims he lives in the condo when it isn't being rented, the cameras are for personal use only - specifically for the sex parties he hosts - and that he has consent from everyone who is filmed. Of course Bourque's response is, "If people are consenting to recording sexual activity, why is it hidden in a smoke alarm?" Airbnb has "permanently banned" Natt, who had been a host for two years and whose Airbnb listing specified no guests under the age of 18. (WFLA News)

One of the Tragic California Wildfire Stories

There's no shortage of tragedy regarding the California wildfires but this one seems especially horrible. Of the 17 confirmed deaths from the fires are an elderly couple who died together after having been married for 75 years. Charles Rippey, 100, and Sara Rippey, 98, died Sunday night when a fast-moving wildfire engulfed their home. Mike Rippey, the oldest of their five children, tells ABC that his mother was paralyzed from a stroke years earlier and would never have made it out. He says his father died about halfway to her room but "even if he had made it, there was no way he was gonna leave her. So neither one of them was getting out." He added, "They lived a long life. It was a great life and they were happy right up until the last minute." (ABC News)

What the What?

Meanwhile, down in Australia, 50-year-old Melissa Hatheier has been filmed using her bare hands to catch a small shark that became trapped in a rock pool, and then releasing the animal back into the ocean. Hatheier said the animal, believed to be a Port Jackson shark, appeared to be in distress when she first saw it. Port Jackson sharks usually measure less than a yard and are not dangerous to humans. She believed the shark had become stranded in the sea-adjoining pool at high tide. It swam away quickly when released. People commenting online have praised her actions as "legendary" and the "most Australian thing." (BBC)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Click On Picture To Order

Click On Picture To Order
Support Desert Radio AZ

Union Hills Drive underpass closed at I-17 this weekend for work on wrong-way vehicle detection project

Union Hills Drive will be closed in both directions at Interstate 17 for part of this weekend as crews continue to install a pilot wrong-way...