ON THIS DAY
In 1925, the very first crude TV images were created. Technical crude, not "South Park" crude.
On this date in 1938, Orson Welles performed his famous play, "War of the Worlds" on the radio, causing nationwide panic.
- These days, all it takes is a presidential news conference.
- It was just a radio play, but people who tuned in late thought we really been invaded by Martians.
- Yes, there was a time where our country was one big Honey-Boo-Boo family.
- He made it sound as though the U.S. was being taken over by aliens... which is what those opposed to immigration reform are claiming today.
In 1945, the U.S. government ended national shoe rationing.
Yes, war is hell.
- Another reason why my wife never would have survived World War II.
- Husbands everywhere suppressed the news as long as they could.
- Finally, we could all go back to wearing two.
- Yet, another reason you weren't alive back then.
On this date in 1970, Jim Morrison was sentenced to 6 months in jail and fined $500 for exposing himself to a Miami crowd. Or, as they call that today in Miami, "Monday."
In 1974, Muhammad Ali knocked out George Foreman in the 8th round of a 15-round bout in Kinshasa, Zaire, to regain his world heavyweight title. I'm figuring that was the day George decided to get into the grill business. Foreman said his head hit the canvas like a grill. And the rest, as they say, is history.
It's Halloween Eve. Do you open your graves on Halloween Eve or Halloween Morning?
Ivanka Trump turns 36 today. Talk about a tough person to shop for.
- I'm sure her birthday is going to be HUGE!
- What do you get for someone who has probably already bought it for herself?
- She has her father's hair, but promises to give it back after Halloween.
- Why she hasn't sued him for that name yet is beyond me.
Matthew Morrison from "Glee" turns 39 today and just became a new dad last week! The baby's name: Revel James Makai Morrison.
Gavin Rossdale, Gwen Stefani's ex, turns 52 today. Pretty much doubt he's ever watched "The Voice." He's with Bush... not that Bush, the band.
Harry Hamlin is 66 today. I guess that answers my "Grecian Formula" question.
Henry Winkler, "The Fonz," turns 72 today.
- He's gone from "Heyyyyyy..." to "Eh?"
- He taught us what it was like to be cool... and helped us create the phrase, "Jump the shark!"
- Back in the day, his big catch-phrase was "Hey!." Today, it's "Eh?"
- There was a time he was so cool. Now, he's too cold and sits around in his leather sweater.
Singer Grace Slick turns 78 today. She was the lead singer of Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship and now Jefferson Senior Shuttle Van.
National Candy Corn Day -- Candy Corn was created by George Renninger of Wunderle Candy Company in the late 1800s. Each year Americans consume enough Brach's Candy Corn that if laid end-to-end, would circle the earth 4.25 times.