In 1439, the British government tried to stop an epidemic by passing a law that made it against the law to kiss.
- Most of the population said, "Oh yeah? Well, kiss this!"
- The kissing law paved the way for the bumper sticker, "I'll give up kissing when you pry my lips off my cold dead face."
- Needless to say, it never caught on.
- When lip locking is outlawed, only outlaws will lock lips.
- It would have made "The Bachelorette" a felony.
On this date in 1769, Father Serra founded Mission San Diego, the first mission in California. The patron saint was Shamu.
In 1790, congress established the District of Columbia as the seat of the U.S. government. And you know what always goes in seats -- asses!
On this date in 1935, the very first parking meter appeared on a street in Oklahoma City. Before the day was over, three horses had received tickets.
In 1945, the U.S. exploded its first atomic bomb in the desert of Alamogordo, New Mexico. It was known as Project: Oops!
On this date in 1951, J.D. Salinger's "Catcher In The Rye" was published. I'll be honest -- I didn't know Rye had a baseball team.
In 1979, Saddam Hussein became president of Iraq. We all know how that one ended.
Happy Amazon Prime Day. Sorry about your credit card balance.
We're more than midway through July!
Luke Bryan celebrates birthday number 42 today and has officially quit counting.
Corey Feldman, who starred in "Goonies" and "Stand By Me" turns 47, in spite of his best efforts.
Will Ferrell turns 51 today, going on 13.
- I'm sure he'll think of something special to do.
- Bet you didn't know that his father, Lee, was a longtime keyboardist and saxophonist for The Righteous Brothers.
- He's probably the most successful alum of "Saturday Night Live" if you don't include Howie Minklestein.
- Critics predict his birthday party will be tired and predictable.
Michael Flatley turns the big 6-0 today. He's known as "the Lord of the Dance," not to be confused with (jock's name) who you, of course, know as the "Lord of the Dense."
Stewart Copeland of "The Police" turns 66. He's the drummer of the group and Sting's sparring partner.
Former Dallas Cowboys football coach and "Survivor" contestant Jimmy Johnson celebrates on the 75-year line today. For years, I thought he was the only coach that wore a helmet. Then I realized that was his hair.
World Snake Day -- A recent survey found only about 3% of men are afraid of snakes.