Where do office romances begin?
- Happy hour: 12 percent
- Late nights on the job: 11 percent
- Lunches: 11 percent
- Chance meetings outside work: 10 percent
- Love at first sight: 9 percent
37 percent of workers say they have dated someone with whom they work, and 30 percent of these liaisons have resulted in marriage. In addition, 25 percent of office romances involved a superior, including the immediate boss, something that is generally considered a no-no. As if dating the boss isn't perilous enough, nearly one in five workers who have had an office romance (19 percent) have had an affair with a co-worker where one person involved was married at the time.
When asked to name specific work-related traits that would make someone "undateable," workers said:
- Doesn't work on a consistent basis: 39 percent
- Has already dated someone else at work: 25 percent
- Travels extensively for work: 21 percent
- Has to work nights: 8 percent
- Earns less money than I do: 6 percent
- Has to work weekends: 6 percent
Some office romances end in more than heartbreak. Five percent of workers who have had an office romance say they have left the job because the relationship soured.