ON THIS DAY
In 1836, the match was invented. Up until that time, nothing looked like the other thing.
- For around 17 seconds, it was the hottest thing around.
- Reviewers called it "hot" and "striking."
- It sure beat rubbing two sticks together to have a cigarette. (It was the original hot head.)
- A lot of people waited for the book to come out.
- It's hard protecting an idea like that, because if you come up with anything close to it, it's still a match.
On this date in 1939, Nylon stockings went on sale for the very first time. Ironically, there was a run on them.
In 1940, the 40-hour work week went into effect. Our work week must have gone into effect in 1980.
Christmas Eve is exactly two months from today. Just sayin'....
Halloween is a week from today.
Drake is 31 today. Doesn't it seem like he's been around forever?
Singer Monica turns 37 today. If you're looking for that unique gift, how about a last name?
Kevin Kline hits the big 7-0. He was the simple guy who ended up as president in the movie, "Dave." But as simple as he was, we weren't this much in debt.
F. Murray Abraham, the actor, turns 78 today. His name always sounded to me like you were saying something bad about Murray Abraham.
Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones turns 81 today, and believe me, he's gathered moss.. Of course, they'll light candles on his cake. He likes that. It reminds him of when fire was invented.
- Old Stones never die, they just can't get no satisfaction.
- He joined the group right around the time music was invented.
- I'm pretty sure that's just 81 and not 181, but I'll check.
- Geez, he's less than 30 years away from being a teenager again!
- This is why most of their concerts now start at 4pm.
National Bologna Day -- 2.19 billion Oscar Mayer bologna sandwiches are eaten each year. That works out to more than 6 million daily, or 69 every second.