WHY IS FRIDAY THE 13TH BAD LUCK?
- Never change your bed on a Friday as it will give you bad dreams.
- If you start a trip on a Friday, you'll have misfortune.
- Cut your nails on a Friday and you cut them for sorrow.
- If ships set sail on a Friday, they will have bad luck.
- Friday is the witches' Sabbath.
Here are some superstitions about the number 13:
- 13 is the Devil's Dozen.
- Should 13 people eat dinner together, all will die within the year.
- Just as many buildings don't have a 13th floor, going right from 12 to 14, many cities don't have a 13th Street or 13th Avenue.
- If you have 13 letters in your name, you will have the devil's luck. Don't believe it? Count the letters in these infamous names: Jack the Ripper, Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, Theodore Bundy and Albert De Salvo.
- There are 13 witches in a coven.
It's bad luck to:
- Begin a new job or a trip
- Cut off both ends of a loaf of bread
- Flip your mattress
- Put new shoes on the table
- Leave your hat on the bed
- Walk under a ladder
- Pour water on a windowsill
- Plant potatoes
- Lean a broom on a bed
- Open an umbrella indoors
- Do housework
- Wear new clothes
- Cut your hair
- Sneeze to your left side
- Have a black cat cross your path
It's good luck to:
- Cut your finger nails on a Friday to avoid a toothache during the month.
- Take candy to a friend during your first visit of the New Year.
- Pick the first violets of spring.
- When you set the table, place the salt down first.
- If you drop a spoon, expect friends to drop by soon.
- If your left hand itches, money will come to you.
- When you move to a new house, take a broom and a loaf of bread with you.
- Put a red bow on a newborn baby.
- Don't sweep dust out the front door or you'll sweep away good luck.
- Make a wish when you see the first robin of spring. If it doesn't fly away before you finish wishing it'll come true.