Double the Fun... Til Death Do Us Part

How's this for double trouble? Two sets of 24-year-old identical twins - who had their first date together and became engaged at the same time - are now preparing to tie the knot in Michigan this weekend and will then live together in a two-bedroom apartment! Identical twins Krissie and Kassie Bevier, from Michigan Center, will marry Zack and Nick Lewan, from White Lake, in Grass Lake on Aug. 3 and 4. Krissie and Zack's wedding will be held on Friday, while Kassie and Nick will get hitched on Saturday. The four will have their reception Saturday night. The two sets of twins met at Grand Valley State University four years ago in a psychology class and had their first date at church one Sunday morning. Kassie claims the four of them don't go everywhere together, but "90 percent of their dates turn into double dates."' Following their wedding, the couples plan to move in together into a two-bedroom apartment in Fenton. But first, a relative gifted the couples with a stay at their house in Florida; both couples said they would go on their own for a few days apart but go to Disney World together. The Beviers are working toward finishing their doctorates in physical therapy at the University of Michigan. Nick Lewan is pursuing his master's degree in mental health counseling from Oakland University, while Zack Lewan works in vegetation management for an energy company. (FOX News)

Beware the Lick of Death

In Wisconsin, 48-year-old Greg Manteufel has lost his hands and legs after he likely received "the lick of death" from a dog. The house painter from West Bend started feeling sick on June 27 and he and his family initially thought he had the flu. But when his symptoms worsened, his wife, Dawn, rushed him to the ER, where they noticed his body was covered in bruises, "like somebody beat him up with a baseball bat," she says. Blood tests soon revealed Manteufel had gone into septic shock from the Capnocytophaga canimorsus bacteria, which is found in the mouths of nearly three-quarters of dogs and 57% of cats, though the animals themselves don't get sick from it. In humans, however, the bacteria can cause a blood infection, or sepsis, which can lead to organ failure and even death. Doctors had to amputate Manteufel's legs at the knees; he also lost his hands, and his nose has to be reconstructed. They counted eight dogs he'd been around at the time he fell sick, including his own. The Manteufels will have to sell their house and look for a one-story home now, and Greg will no longer be able to work as a house painter or cruise on his Harley. Still, Dawn Manteufel says, "There's no negativity from him so far." Before you panic, one doctor said the incident was a fluke and that "more than 99% of the people who have dogs will never have this issue." A GoFundMe for Manteufel has raised more than $28,000. (FOX 6)

When the Entire Police Force Resigns!

The entire police department of Blanford, Massachusetts town has resigned, citing poor equipment and unsafe working conditions! Now in truth, the entire department is only four-people strong, but still- it's kind of a big deal. Police Chief Roberta Sarnacki and his three officers submitted their resignations in a letter to Blandford officials on Monday, effective immediately. They say the town's police cruisers are in such bad shape they often have to answer calls in their personal vehicles. Plus police radios don't work in some parts of town and their poorly fitting bulletproof vests are beyond expiration dates. They also cited inadequate staffing and poor pay, and said the department has been neglected as Blandford, which has a population of about 1,200, considers merging the department with the nearby Chester PD. The resignation letter reads: "We refuse to put our lives on the line anymore for a town that seemingly cares so little about us." Massachusetts State Police said in a statement Tuesday that state police "will assume any additional duties required in the wake of the resignations of local officers," noting that all 911 calls from Blandford for police assistance are being routed to troopers in Russell, a town about five miles away. (CNN)

Two Very Problematic Words: Pet Cobra

Here's a pro tip: Pet cobras are a bad idea. In Michigan, a 26-year-old man had one - and it bit him, setting off a multistate hunt for the specific type of antivenom needed to save his life. The guy started vomiting about 20 minutes after being bit by the albino monocled cobra July 14. Because we're sure you don't know, their venom is one of the fastest-acting ones in the world. So our snake-loving friend was airlifted to Detroit Medical Center after his respiratory muscles became paralyzed and he stopped breathing. The hospital's toxicology experts got eight vials of antivenom from the Toledo Zoo in Toledo, Ohio, and administered them to the man shortly after he got there, but he continued to get worse. That's because it was a generic antivenom that "covers many, but not all species of poisonous snakes." With help from the man's family to identify the species of snake he'd been bitten by, experts were then able to figure out which type of antivenom he needed; they ultimately reached out to the Miami-Dade County Venom Response Program in Florida the morning after the bite and had 20 vials of the correct type of antivenom to give the man by the afternoon. The man, who is still hospitalized, is expected to recover. The bigger question - just how much is all this going to cost him? (USA Today)

Some Things Just Aren't Recyclable!

Hey - some things just can't be recycled. Condoms would be one. Yep, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) took the unprecedented step to warn about the dangers of reusing condoms - because that's apparently a problem. The CDC tweeted: "We say it because people do it: Don't wash or reuse #condoms! Use a fresh one for each #sex act." If you didn't know, the effectiveness of condoms, however, is eliminated after the first use. Simply washing a condom with soap won't kill any bacteria or virus lurking on the condom's surface - meaning, it's pretty much useless. Not to mention that putting a wet, unrolled condom back on would also be a Herculean task! (SF Gate)

When New York is Stupid

Up in Ballston Spa, New York, 7-year-old Brendon Mulvaney was told by state health inspectors that he needed a permit for his lemonade stand. But the kid now has support from Gov. Andrew Cuomo. In a statement issued by Cuomo, the governor said, "Today I directed the Department of Health to reach a resolution with the Mulvaney family to ensure that Brendan's Lemonade Stand can continue to operate. If a permit is needed, I will personally pay for any necessary fees. We support Brendan's entrepreneurial spirit and wish him the best of luck." The boy has also received support from Sen. Jim Tedisco. He is drafting legislation called the Lemon-Aid Law to help keep child-run lemonade stands open for business in New York State. State health inspectors argued that Mulvaney's stand looked "too structured" and "much greater than the average little kid's spontaneous lemonade stand." (CBS News)

What the What?

In Ohio, Cuyahoga County Judge John Russo got fed up with one defendant's constant interruptions during his sentencing so finally took the bizarre step of having 32-year-old Franklyn Williams' mouth shut. Williams, was seen in court with red tape over his mouth. He was convicted in December of aggravated robbery, kidnapping, theft, misuse of credit cards and having weapons under a disability. Before getting taped up, he had refused to stop talking and kept interrupting his attorneys for about 30 minutes during his sentencing. (FOX News)


Popular posts from this blog

City Page Survey

Fall Book Discussion and Movie Series

Book discussion group to meet