ON THIS DAY
In 1818 Mary Todd Lincoln was born. If you're curious, yes, she did enjoy the play.
On this date in 1899, George Grant took out a patent for the golf tee.
- The guy at the patent office couldn't resist and just had to ask, "What is this... FORE?"
- For those who don't play golf, it's the piece of wood most of us hit instead of the ball when teeing off.
- That's the thing you hit in golf that usually goes farther than the ball.
- Before then, when you started playing golf, you didn't "Tee off"... you just offed.
- Yes, the tee gives golfers one more excuse for why the drive didn't go straight.
- Caddies were thrilled to be able to drop "hold the ball so I can hit it" as part of their duties.
In 1901, the first radio signal to cross the Atlantic is picked up near St. John's, Newfoundland, by inventor Guglielmo Marconi. The announcer acknowledged the signal by saying, "No, you are not caller number 9."
On this date in 1917, Boys Town was founded. Since Kevin Spacey could be listening, we aren't going to say where.
In 1925, the world's very first motel, the "Motel Inn," opened in San Luis Obispo, CA. Talk about a dive, when you stayed there, they stole your towels. Until that time, Tom Bodette had no where to leave his light on.
On this date in 1953, Chuck Yeager flew the X-1 two and a half times the speed of sound.
- Needless to say, it was loud.
- He flew so fast, while flying he could hear himself landing.
- He was actually able to hear people say "Congratulations" before they even said it.
In 1955, the hovercraft was patented. Imagine a vehicle that travels without touching the ground... if you don't include low-flying planes. The following year, they came out with Hovercraft Macaroni and Cheese.
Two weeks from today, we hit the After-Christmas Sales!
Today's date should make it National Redundant Day -- 12-12.
Mayim Bialik turns 42 today. I remember when her career first Blossom'd... and then there was a Big Bang!
Hank Williams III turns 45 today.
- He hasn't been the disappointment his dad was, but he's working on it.
- Fairly certain there'll be a 4th and 5th.
- Gee, do you think you'd even have a chance to not be a Country singer with that name?
Jennifer Connelly turns 47 today. I believe this is the time the of year her eyebrows spin a cocoon.
Sheree Wilson is 59 today. She played April on the old TV series, "Dallas" and you have to be a pretty talented actress to portray an entire month.
Former gymnast Cathy Rigby turns 65 today. This is a bad time of year for her. She's so tiny, when she goes to the mall, people constantly stop her and ask, "So, which way is Santa?"
Dionne Warwick turns 77 today. One of her earlier hits was "Do you know the way to San Jose?" Of course, now with Google maps, the song is no longer necessary.
National Poinsettia Day -- By an Act of Congress, December 12 was set aside as National Poinsettia Day. The date marks the death of Joel Roberts Poinsett, who is credited with introducing the native Mexican plant to the U.S.